Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,685   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Recommendations for a good UK lab for neutral XP2-Super development and print

Any thoughts on labs in the UK (ideally mail order) that produce neutral prints from XP2-super (C41)?

Any experiences and thoughts much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul, any "Good" C41 lab should be able to produce your prints, all the modern digital minilabs have machines capability, unfortunately only few have the staff capable.

Try Colab in Coventry, they are excellent for colour and B&W.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've found one member of staff at my local Tesco can create good prints, but most of the staff can't drive the machine. I always ask for her to do my prints when I go in, otherwise, try peak imaging

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Things I found at Tesco wrt XP2 Super:

if you ask for the pictures to be "black and white" they set the machine to print in greyscale, or it's equivalence. Absolutely no colour cast.
    However, some operators like to drag your negatives around the floor and tread on them a few times, or so it appears.

Cheers, Lol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Must've been Tesco's in Alfreton Lol! Most of the machine printers are digital nowadays and neutral B&W should be easier. When the machine printers were optical, I used to give them a piece of unexposed and developed MF film to add between the neg and light source. It usually worked 'reasonably' well if you could get an operator to understand the concept. Got to say though, the colour paper just doesn't have the range of 'proper' B&W paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lol999 View Post
    Things I found at Tesco wrt XP2 Super:

if you ask for the pictures to be "black and white" they set the machine to print in greyscale, or it's equivalence. Absolutely no colour cast.
    However, some operators like to drag your negatives around the floor and tread on them a few times, or so it appears.

Cheers, Lol
    Sounds about right. what's easy to most is an anathema to others

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Must've been Tesco's in Alfreton Lol!
    Close! My hometown of Chesterfield. It's a shame because it's a nice cheap service, dev and scan to cd for £2!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In addition, ILFORD PHOTO has chosen FOCUS to announce major new developments to its process and print service. In direct response to customer feedback, this service will now be extended to offer a whole range of additional capabilities such as the scanning of images to CD, enlargements and the printing of digital black and white prints.
    Looks like ilford might be updating the D&P service they provide, and will print XP2 onto proper MG IV RC. The prints from I've had from them before have been very good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone - I will give Tesco a try and see if I can get some confidence in their operators.

The idea of the Ilford service on real photo paper sounds really appealing too

Lol - your website is great with some really powerful stories. Back in the late 1990's I lived and worked near Chesterfield so know the place quite well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Paul, I finally plucked up courage to add it as my signature. I'm always hesitant to show my wares in such esteemed company.

Cheers, Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin