Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,525   Online: 1021

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Some folks check each and every box of film they buy for speed, irregardless of who makes it.
    And some of us just make photographs. I am too busy dancing with the light to worry about exactly what sort of wood makes up the dance floor.

To each their own drummer...

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Batch-to-batch consistency and stability in storage are attractions of the films from the major manufacturers, but if you happen to like the look of Foma or Efke, it is worth testing, and it can be as simple as comparing the first sheet from the new batch with the last sheet from the old batch, two sides of the same holder, exposed one after the other and processed together. I was surprised once when I found two batches of Fortepan 400 about a half stop apart (probably due to storage conditions, since they were from two different distributors), but then it occurred to me that if I was going to use a film made with 1950s technology, I'd also have to follow the same testing procedures that photographers concerned about consistency would use in that era as well.

Anyway, that's off topic, but the point is that testing doesn't have to be that complicated, and one can learn a few things in the process that will save time and effort later.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Good point, David.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Large Format
    From Kodak's website, new technical information on their films. Looking forward to trying it in larger sheet film sizes; and, with the dollar being so low, it's cost should be very competitive to European films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What David says above is going to become more true and the necessary testing will become more important as time goes on. Storage, shelf life and batch to batch variations of films and papers made by the older methods are becoming significant factors as people buy more economy films.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Kodak has an active develpment program for B&W films going ahead under an old associate of mine at EK. He is/was responsible for this new film and is working on more goodies for us all.

PE
    Great news!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    For those of us who have calibrated exposure and development based upon film curves and densitometer work the new film will eventually mean repeating our film tests again for both sheet and roll film. One can only hope the effort will be worth it....Obviously Ilford can become one's choice if one wishes NOT to have to recalibrate everything. Nothing "wrong" with Delta and HP5, but if one wants to use ready loads in the field it's either Fuji or Kodak. We'll be waiting for reviews from our talented and sharing members.

Edwin
    If this is a veiled poke at Kodak... it's time to give it a rest. The Perez anger is old and most of us are ready to move on. Sure some people are still mad at Kodak for hiring a moron to run the company. Others are still angry that Kodak quit the paper industry, still others are angry about HIE. The rest of us realize that there's more important stuff in this life to get bent about. Sheesh, isn't it enough that Kodak is still developing new film technoloy?

Besides, Edwin's comment doesn't make sense anyway.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin