Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,752   Online: 962

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New TMY Sheet Film Samples

Kodak has just sent out samples of their new T Max 400 (TMY) sheet film in 4x5 size indicating that they are in full swing production. The box has 50 sheets and while it has the same catelog number (843 8202) the emulsion code is 102 and the packaging has bright red packaging in several languages clearly distinguishing it from the former offering. Plus, the notch is a single "V" as opposed to the more elaborate notch code on the previous emulsion.

I expect that this marvelous new film will be at your favorite re-seller shortly.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's fantastic news. I wonder if this film, with the absence of UV filtration, can be developed by inspection... I'm very curious.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Plus, the notch is a single "V" as opposed to the more elaborate notch code on the previous emulsion.

I expect that this marvelous new film will be at your favorite re-seller shortly.

Cheers!
    Man that kind of bugs me, I keep having issues with notch codes.
    Velvia 50 and Efke 25 both have the exact same notches, and are both very common films for me to be using.
    Not sure about the new V50 actually, since I'm still going through an old box, but for me at least, it's kind of a bitch.

And now this, Forte 200 uses the single V for a notch code, though I guess it's 'out' now, but I still have a bit of it in use.
    I suppose it's not so bad since I wont be using the new TMY, and if I ever do, I'll be out of Forte by then...
    Anyone else know of any other mixing notches like that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why sweat code notches? They're only there to find the emulsion side.
    You don't throw every film you use into one box then sort it later do you?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas, As far as i know the new TMY will not be any different than the old. Only the TMX100 have the UV blocking layer.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah, thanks Jan. I guess that means no... I'm happy there's FP4 and Tri-X for me.
    - Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, that's what I do, Alden But I don't sweat it anyway. I develop the film by inspection and just trust that I got the exposure right, so it doesn't really matter anyway, except with TMY you can't see the highlights develop through the base side due to some coating or another... Shame, because it's really nice film.

Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    That's fantastic news. I wonder if this film, with the absence of UV filtration, can be developed by inspection... I'm very curious.
    - Thomas
    Until we shoot it, develop it and print it we won't know whether or not Kodak kept out the UV filtration. I know I told them that among the photographers I knew this was our major concern. I'm sure Mike Kadillak hammered that point as well, so I'm hopeful. But with these guys you never really know. I'm told that the samples we got of the rollfilm did not include it but that the production rolls do include it.

In any case, the UV filtration has nothing to do with the ability to develop by inspection. The old TMY doesn't have it and I can't develop that by inspection. It's the magenta sensitization dye that's the culprit with green safelights, not any UV filtering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure what caused the inspection to fail. Goes to prove how unaware I am of the scientific parts of photography.
    - Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    Well, for certain folks (like me for instance) it could be a problem. I still have some Forte 200 left, and would like to try the new TMY. Sometimes I forget to label the holders properly and need to check what is loaded in them. If both films have the same notch code, that will be a problem...

Michael, thanks for the update!

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin