Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 844

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    The Defender 52-D TWO-SOLUTION VARIABLE CONTRAST DEVELOPER recipe sounds to me like it would meet your requirements. And the BEERS developer should do so as well.
    Is the formula readily available? I haven't heard of Defender 52-D and I didn't see in the Cookbooks.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Les, what would be the benefits on doing a two bath technique on a variable contrast paper...other than image tone...which probably would be very subtle on a coldtone paper? I know that the dektol / selectol soft two bath combo has been used and taught extensively by Bruce Barnbaum and John Sexton at their darkroom workshop classes in the past but has been abandoned for the most part by Bruce (I don't know about John) with the advent of variable contrast papers. Am I missing something here?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

2 Bath

John-I can't see any benefit for using a two bath for the VC paper. with graded there is amidol with a water bath which is by far the best method I have ever used; although it will also work with dektol and a water bath...just not as long lasting or as fast....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Simmons View Post
    Les, what would be the benefits on doing a two bath technique on a variable contrast paper...other than image tone...which probably would be very subtle on a coldtone paper? I know that the dektol / selectol soft two bath combo has been used and taught extensively by Bruce Barnbaum and John Sexton at their darkroom workshop classes in the past but has been abandoned for the most part by Bruce (I don't know about John) with the advent of variable contrast papers. Am I missing something here?
    John, my experience in using two bath development goes back to the days when VC paper was not the best product in the market place and we used it to control the subtle nuances of contrast with graded paper. When fibre VC paper appeared I thought there would be no need to use two bath development because of the extra dimension VC paper gave us. What I found when I started to experiment with the combination of split grade printing and the use of two bath development, and often the use of water bath development, was that I achieved an even greater level of both tonal and contrast control. My view of what makes the fine black and white print is that subtleties are a very important element and any measure that can be employed to improve and control them is surely a benefit. We all have our favourite methods of working and I'm sure that Bruce has good reason to have abandoned his use of two bath development.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Defender 52-D Recipe status

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Is the formula readily available? I haven't heard of Defender 52-D and I didn't see in the Cookbooks.
    Snapshot, I'll post the Defender 52-D Recipe this evening after I convert Grains to Grams, etc.

However, what I personally use is Michael Smith's Amidol recipe with a water bath.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snapshot, I'll post the Defender 52-D Recipe this evening after I convert Grains to Grams, etc.

However, what I personally use is Michael Smith's Amidol recipe with a water bath.
    That would be very kind of you. As for the Amidol recipe, it's my understanding that Amidol doesn't keep well, which is why I shy away from it. Also, I'm not aware of any good supplies. Is there a reliable source, in terms of quality?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Amidol keeps well as a dry chemical. I use the working developer as a one-shot. Artcraft, J.D Photochem and Photographer's Formulary are all good, reliable sources of high quality Amidol.

Defender D-52 Stock Solution A
    Water 500 ml
    Metol 3 gm
    Sodium Sulfite -anhyd 21 gm
    Hydroquinone 3 gm
    Sodium Carbonate - mono 14 gm
    Potassium Bromide 1 gm
    water to make 1.0 liter
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 01-09-2008 at 11:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Table formatting difficulties
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Defender D-52 Stock Solution B
    Water 500 ml
    Metol none
    Hydroquinone 9 gm
    Potassium Bromide 1 gm
    water to make 1.0 liter
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Using 52-D

Defender D-52 Stock Solution B
    Water 500 ml
    Metol none
    Hydroquinone 9 gm
    Potassium Bromide 1 gm
    water to make 1.0 liter
    NORMAL CONTRAST:
    MIX 1 PART A, 1 PART B AND 2 PARTS WATER

FOR SOFT CONTRAST RESULTS:
    MIX 3 PARTS A, 1 PART B AND 4 PARTS WATER

FOR HARD CONTRAST RESULTS:
    MIX 1 PART A, 3 PARTS B AND 4 PARTS WATER

DEVELOPING TIME SHOULD BE MAINTAINED BETWEEN 1.5 TO 2 MINUTES AT 70F.

SOURCE: DARKROOM HANDBOOK AND FORMULARY, MORRIS GERMAIN, 1940
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the D-52 formula Tom. I'll try it out in the near future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin