Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,944   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've found the TSA in the US very helpful. I take a very "English" approach by apologizing for causing them trouble and asking them if they wouldn't mind helping me out and hand inspecting the film for me. I'll often add that my client is a pain in the .... and every time they've been happy to oblige. In most instances, when I thank them they tell me that that' their job. The last time I left Heathrow however hand inspection was refused because the film wasn't ISO 1600! The security l"lady" did not want to hear about degraded shadow densities and her reaction to my mild protestations suggested that I was headed for the medical attention that Jason warned of!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    I think "chaos" is a justified description of a situation in which foreign visitors to the UK find without warning on their departure that the applicable regulations are different from those governing their inbound flights, that the regulations vary from one UK airport to another and one airline to another, and that press reports are mostly inaccurate and unhelpful. Believe me, I saw a LOT of confused and angry people on Sunday night!
    Anyone who arrived in the UK without warning of the 1-handbaggage rule needs to have a serious conversation with their airline. As I say, it's been in place for over a year; in that time I've flown perhaps a dozen times or more and on every occasion it's been made extremely clear that only one item of handbaggage is permitted on board flights departing or arriving in the UK.

Given that, I find it hard to imagine how one could be forced into a state of chaos at the discovery you are, since yesterday, now allowed two from certain airports that have now demonstrated enhanced security procedures. A response by passengers of "Wow! Hold the checkin queue, I'm going to unpack my single bag into two just because I can!" is the only way I can imagine that happening.

I was flying out of Stansted airport on the day the restriction was, without notice, introduced in 2006. That was chaos. Much as it might be in the interests of the media to play it up, I doubt the current situation is much beyond "minor confusion". I've never been to an airport which wasn't full of "confused and angry people," in any event.

(For the record; different airlines have always had a variety of different rules about what and how much constitutes handbaggage, and within an airline it has also always differed between the types of aircraft serving that particular flight, and between classes of ticket on the flight. Confirming the baggage restrictions with your airline prior to packing your bags always has and always will be the best way to ensure you don't suffer from "chaos" at the airport.)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    35mm
    Regarding the baggages... TSA has a very clear regulation on this...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1248.shtm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just remember once outside the US the airport security people have entirely different rules and opinions. They aren't always helpful, may well speak no English and don't have time or operatives to carry out hand searches.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Just remember once outside the US the airport security people have entirely different rules and opinions. They aren't always helpful, may well speak no English and don't have time or operatives to carry out hand searches.

Ian
    This is a good point. I should note that while I fly frequently, especially b/w NYC and Tucson, I haven't flown internationally since pre-9/11.

My wife does a lot of international travel for biz and did encounter the sudden implementation of the one-bag only rule at Heathrow in the UK back in 2006. As she related it - it was apparently a total madhouse situation. Also, since she isn't a photog - she hasn't had to see about getting film hand-inspected outside the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, as I said earlier in this thread - hand inspection was only available once out of over 16 hand baggage checks when I was travelling a few weeks ago. All the airports had a one carry on bag limit but none observed it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received an email from BA a couple of days ago saying that they had reverted to allowing 2 carry-on bags ( one standard size and one laptop/handbag/etc ) in line with current EU regulations.

I believe that in the UK there is no legal requirement to allow hand inspection, unlike the US.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nevermind. Stupid mistake.
    Last edited by walter23; 01-08-2008 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    Confirming the baggage restrictions with your airline prior to packing your bags always has and always will be the best way to ensure you don't suffer from "chaos" at the airport.)
    Tim, as a frequent flyer, you may have grasped the logic behind baggage regulations, but even so you do not appreciate the difference between someone starting in the UK and a visitor from abroad. It clearly simply does not occur to many foreign visitors that, having been allowed to fly to Britain with 2 pieces of hand luggage, they will be required to condense these down to one on their return home for no readily apparent reason. A system in which baggage allowances vary according to the direction of travel, the airport concerned, the type of aircraft, the airline and the wanderings of the planet Venus is just way too complicated and is guaranteed to lead to chaos!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin