Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,814   Online: 728

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Different films; same dev time.

Say I've got two rolls of film here, from different companies with different emulsions and different speeds. However when pushed or pulled to a certain EI and coincidentally having the same development times.

Would it be safe to process both films together in order to not waste chemicals and spend less time developing film?

Thanks,
    Dylan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've done that before without a problem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome, that should save me some time.

Thanks for the quick reply!

--Dylan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yup - no problem. I do it all the time. Beware of falling into the "near enough" trap that I did some years ago though. Personally, I find film development akin to watching grass grow and I did one combined run where two film times differed by two minutes. I, of course, split the difference and spent more time and money on printing and materials, (not to mention the mental health effects!) than I'd saved on the film development. A cautionary tale..........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob has a good point, however it depends on the film. I have had the same situation where the films in question differed by 2 minutes, so I split the time, and can hardly see the difference in the two films regarding their normal behavior.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did exactly that last weekend. In my case there was only 30 seconds difference so I used the longer time.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Use diafine and the EIs recommended on the box for various films. Then you can have 3minutes in solution A and 3 minutes in solution B and be done with it I'm impatient with developing times too, especially if they drag on for 20 minutes.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's my regular every-day way of processing film. When I shoot, I go for a particular DoF and set according to that, and adjust only my shutter speed. I regularly shoot anything from Ortho25 to Neopan 1600 and process them all together, and have never had a problem.

YMMV
    Rolleijoe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't had the situation come up lately, but I don't see why it wouldn't work, at least for most films. Some modern films have some strange components which dissolve in the developer, however. I'm thinking of the red dye in Kodak TMY right now, but there may be others. I'm not sure how these would affect the other roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something you all should think about....

All B&W film sent to a photofinsiher or pro lab will get one development time in one developer. They don't adjust! Now, I will hasten to add that some pro labs will adjust for a special price, but on average, there is one time and one developer.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin