Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,447   Online: 785

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Speaking of distilled water, I'm having a difficult time finding some here in London. Can anyone suggest where I should look?

thanks in advance,

HL
    Marine aquatic stores, they all have Reverse Osmosis systems and many of them sell tanks of RO water for marine aquatic use, you may have to bring your own container though.

One place in central london is the Aquatic Design Centre (http://www.aquaticdesign.co.uk/) though I've not bought from there myself (we're a bit far out and I'm not lugging tanks of water on the tube)

David.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Boots used to sell deionised water for highly inflated prices. Any motor factor will sell deionised water for batteries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    Speaking of distilled water, I'm having a difficult time finding some here in London. Can anyone suggest where I should look?

thanks in advance,

HL
    If you see any window cleaners using these long pole systems, their water is purified by reverse osmosis. My brother uses one and always carries several 5 gallon cans full in his van. Quite possible they would sell you some at much less than the usual cost of deionised or distilled water from a chemist.

Bill

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have a RO system for my darkroom. With a ppm meter it reads the same as distilled. 0 ppm. Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    I have a RO system for my darkroom. With a ppm meter it reads the same as distilled. 0 ppm. Robert
    I have been trying to find a suitable RO unit. Can you give some information on the company? Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Suitable? One that is very popular in environmental labs is the Millipore Milli-Q system. http://www.millipore.com/catalogue/module/c7658. It's very compact. But it is slow - about a gallon in 10 minutes or so if I remember right. But that's fine for a small lab. About $2000+ or so depending on model. http://www.aibltd.com/listings.cfm?show=1&catid=302 Several on ebay right now

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks everyone

HL

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As it hasn't been mentioned, I thought I would put in a word for the AQWSAFE domestic distiller unit that I recently bought to feed my Fuji Pictrography processor. The £175 investment is soon recouped if your only alternative is to buy bottled distilled water. I'm now using it to provide water for chemical mixing (and the domestic iron!) as well. It's also drinkable of course.

Interestingly, deionised water was too pure for the Fuji Pictrography processor, which relies on being able to send a small current through the water for monitoring purposes.
    Details on AQWSAFE here; they also sell distilled water in bottles.
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Of the the three processes: Reverse Osmosis, Distillation and Deionisation, the deionisation will give the purest water which is also closest to PH7.

Water is what is called "amphiprotic" which means it reacts with itself. What that means is that if you remove the ions, which is one of the things a deionisation unit will do ( as well as removing trace elements ), it will, all by itself, become reionised to a certain extent until it reaches an equilibrium. i.e. the PH will change. PH means Power of Hydrogen ionisation. The trace elements will not reappear though so it will still be very pure water and the buffering in the developer is more than adequate to cope with the small amount of PH change due to water not being at exactly PH7.

So having deionised your water, if you let it stand for a day or two, its PH will change and may well become useable by your processor, but maybe not depending on its sensitivity.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    PE, I had a Kinetico GX Plus Deluxe system installed. It has a 20 Gallon holding tank. I'd have to check but I think it was around 1300.00 for the complete installation. That included plumbing to the upstairs kitchen sink, darkroom sink and even to the ice-maker on the fridge. All other water running to the darkroom sink is run through micron filters. Robert

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin