Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,590   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

120 film turn purple

I just develop a roll of Tmax 120 and it had a weak purple to it. What did I do wrong. Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Did you use fresh fix? If I use fresh fix and washaid the film comes out completely clear. If I use old fix the film comes out with color. As do several other films.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I just develop a roll of Tmax 120 and it had a weak purple to it. What did I do wrong. Jeff
    It didn't "turn" purple, this is what this film looks like if you don't fix completely and wash completely. It is a dye in the film that is normally removed with adequate processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought the fix last week. It Kodak 1 gallon mix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tmax typically takes a lot longer to clear for whatever reason than other films. It could be taken out with a resoak, re-fix, rinse, hypo clear, and wash cycle just be sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info. I usually learn from my mistakes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Jeff,

Hypo Clearing Agent helps remove the stain.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wash longer. I'm not a big fan of extending the fix any longer than is necessary to remove the unexposed silver from the emulsion. Extending the wash will remove the dye.

If all else fails, the dye is stable and harmless. It's just visually annoying.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Do this after the film is dried. Expose the film to sunlight until the dye disappears. I do this to all Kodak and Ilford films that has a dye cast.

In my experience a pre wash will take the dye out TMY sheet film. This might be the case with TMX roll film too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin