Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,222   Online: 1191

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Saltwater as fixer

It's just one of those things I heard somewhere:

Wasn't one of the first methods of fixing paper and negatives was by using saltwater? Does anyone have any clue what kind of concentrations you'd need and if it would be possible to fix, say a roll of Tri-X in it?

If not, is there any other household stuff that could serve as fixer? Just curious..
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you've read about using saltwater as an efficient washing agent instead of using it as fixer.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard the saltwater as fixer thing too ( independent of the washing use )...I also read that it either never worked very well at all anyway, and/or won't work at all with modern films

the only "household" chemical I know of that might work would be the stuff you add to your aquarium to get rid of chlorine...I think that has sodium/ammonium thiosulfate in it

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I think I've read too much about Henry Fox Talbot lately... Looked it up now; he used saltwater as fixer first, but with little success. Later on, John Herschel suggested the use of hypo to fix pictures.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to read this thread on pn.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yup, one myth down - several more to go...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, I just deleted my post because I realized you were asking about NaCl as a fixing agent, while I was referring to NaCl as a hypo-clearing agent, so it wasn't applicable to your question!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Apug's own (Reinhold) posted this on his blog recently that high amounts of salt (300g/l) and time (2-3 days) will clear film:

http://caffenol.blogspot.com/2012/04...m-est.html?m=0

Might have to try this out, I have a spare plastic reel/tank that might work. I wouldn't test with my nice Hewes as the idea of ss in water for days worries me. Also wonder if the emulsion might float off the base after such a long soak
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Also wonder if the emulsion might float off the base after such a long soak
    That's how it clears the film!

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fox Talbot used salt as a stablilizer not as a fixer. In this respect he was only partially successful in preventing his images from degrading with exposure to light.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin