Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,659   Online: 1108

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have moved away from Kodak and to Ilford also---the main reason is that Ilford is making a commitment to the B&W arts and as such I am going to use their products. Kodak does still make some nice stuff--but my move to Ilford was/is on my terms not being forced to move because Kodak stopped making something and now I need to find some replacement. As far as logical and rational I don't think there is a more logical and/or rational reason to make the move. As far as quality I have never found a difference between Kodak and Ilford, both top notch.

So good for you---you saw the light that is coming---the yellow father (as some have called Kodak) seams to be turning tail and running holding true to the yellow part

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And, of course, posts such as the OP only reinforce Kodak's opinion of APUG and keep them from full participation instead of just lurking.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I finally did it. I figured if Kodak got rid of paper, I am going to back a company that is fully servicing us B&W traditionalists.

I am also trying their Tri-X equivalent but I think I might be buying Tri-X for a while.
    if it works for you, that is great!
    i have a few pouches of kodak developers
    selectol, dektol, dk50 but that is it.
    but i use sprint fix ( have since 1981 )
    and i pretty much only use ansco 130 for my film and paper
    ( with or without coffee, cream and sugar )

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a mixture of Kodak and Ilford Products these days. I love Plus-X, Tri-X the same as FP4 and HP5, I prefer Kodak developers like D-76 and Dektol but I prefer Ilfostop and Rapidfix for the back half of the process.

As much as Big Yellow Father perplexes me with their communication strategy sometimes, you can't go wrong with their products. If they disappear tomorrow I know how to use FP4 and HP5, I can switch to ID-11 without too much fuss and I will have to find a new print developer, no big deal.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    PE----I was making a funny hence the smiley face but I digress---Kodak has the same access to APUG as anyone else yet I do not recall seeing any posts from them. I would love it if they would get on the site and participate. Information will go along way in shutting me up If I knew that Kodak was at least trying to make a commitment to the arts then I would use their products. Arguably they are the company that has had he biggest impact on the art that I love!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, first at Kodak we called it the "Big Yellow Jello". So I can take a joke and do know where you are coming from, but I refer to the tenor of many posts here and the OP which started it.

It is negative to Kodak in the sense that Kodak cannot be all things to all people. They are trying, and I get to hear it from their side in regular meetings where they give the Kodak POV. I was able to quesiton Antonio Perez in person on leaving the paper business and his comment was "we are hemorrhaging out of the B&W paper unit and we have to get out now". The income from B&W paper sales were running below the cost of manufacture even though they were being made in Brazil and China. This was due to a 35% loss in analog sales in 1 quarter.

That is a big loss!

So, Agfa failed and Ilford had financial problems and things are still not rosy anywhere in analog photography. In spite of this, Kodak has an R&D team working on new films for B&W and color. Now, I don't think that is abandoning the customer. But, if enough customers leave Kodak, that leaves Fuji and Ilford.

Oh, BTW, where is a Fuji guy here?

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay everyone....

step away from the keyboard and go make some photos.

I just got it from making 6 shots and this thread is still going.

GO OUTSIDE!!!!!

sorry if I offended anyone with this post...
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeffrey--I don't know about anyone else--but I am not offended. You just pointed out your thoughts as did many others, myself included. It is a tuff situation---do you spread your business around or try to put all your eggs in just one or two baskets. I have tried using many many different products and I truly believe that there are no "bad" products out there, just different. I have found that I could tailor my shooting and processes in such a way the Ilford fills 90% of the bill. I still love Dektol and D-76 and like to shoot Efke film.

David b--I just got home from a 7 day road trip shooting---now I got 28 rolls of 120 B&W, 3 rolls 35mm B&W to develope and 11 rolls of color slide to send off mostly 120 but 2 rolls of 35mm. Anyone wanta help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought your post was actually quite funny and that is why I posted my OP in this thread.

But I really want to keep us from driving Kodak away and get them to participate here. There is a fine balance.

PE

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin