Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,932   Online: 1016
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11
    Vaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Humboldt Co.
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    4,550
    Images
    40
    Just some info from Kodak Photo-flo bottle lable:

    "Kodak Photo-Flow Solutions should not be added to developer solutions"

    Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

  2. #12
    Ljusdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    53
    Thanks for the great answers everyone!

    After that horrid roll I developed another one. This time I was more careful with the loading, and gave it a good bash against my working surface after each agitation. I got a lot fewer "cresent moons" than the first roll, but still quite a few at the edges and start of the film, and a few in the frames.

    Then another roll, this time having practised loading in daylight. Even better result than the previous, with marks only in the beginning of the film and a couple along the edges. However the first frame got partially damaged by one.
    So it appears the marks was indeed a result of pinches and buckles. The technique used to lock the film to the reel IS pinching, so I don't know how to get perfectly clean negs from frame 1 to end. It seems pretty Impossible.

    Oh and I read the label on my kodak photo-flo but I can't see any warnings like Vaughn mentioned. With the next batch of developer I'll try without.

    Thanks for your time. I'll be back

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SE.London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    547
    May I suggest you try a Paterson or similar dev. tank. The Paterson has a ratchet system which IMO is a great aid in smooth loading of the film, providing the reels are completely dry of course.

    For 120 I find it easier to start the film off by gently pulling it over the two small ball bearings (Paterson) rather then pushing it. This helps prevent 'kinks'. Also are you looking at a lot of the film while it is still wet? I've 'kinked' a few frames while trying to thread wet film back on the spool. It pays to be patient and wait until the film is dry before you start looking at them.

  4. #14
    Snapshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    793
    Quote Originally Posted by Ljusdahl View Post
    Thanks for the great answers everyone!

    After that horrid roll I developed another one. This time I was more careful with the loading, and gave it a good bash against my working surface after each agitation. I got a lot fewer "cresent moons" than the first roll, but still quite a few at the edges and start of the film, and a few in the frames.

    Then another roll, this time having practised loading in daylight. Even better result than the previous, with marks only in the beginning of the film and a couple along the edges. However the first frame got partially damaged by one.
    So it appears the marks was indeed a result of pinches and buckles. The technique used to lock the film to the reel IS pinching, so I don't know how to get perfectly clean negs from frame 1 to end. It seems pretty Impossible.

    Oh and I read the label on my kodak photo-flo but I can't see any warnings like Vaughn mentioned. With the next batch of developer I'll try without.

    Thanks for your time. I'll be back
    I'm glad you've determined the source of your difficulties. At least you can address the problem and attempt to resolve it. Nothing is more frustrating than wondering what the issue could be.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

  5. #15
    Ljusdahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    May I suggest you try a Paterson or similar dev. tank. The Paterson has a ratchet system which IMO is a great aid in smooth loading of the film, providing the reels are completely dry of course.

    For 120 I find it easier to start the film off by gently pulling it over the two small ball bearings (Paterson) rather then pushing it. This helps prevent 'kinks'. Also are you looking at a lot of the film while it is still wet? I've 'kinked' a few frames while trying to thread wet film back on the spool. It pays to be patient and wait until the film is dry before you start looking at them.
    With my next roll I will definitely try on a Paterson reel. I just recently figured out how to get 120-film onto it, seems it was a lot easier than I thought (contrary to everything else in photography).

    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I'm glad you've determined the source of your difficulties. At least you can address the problem and attempt to resolve it. Nothing is more frustrating than wondering what the issue could be.
    AGREED! Thanks for your time!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin