Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,572   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

The Bubbles Strike Back

Hi peeps.

I developed a 120 roll of T-Max 100, in a small metal tank & reel, with T-Max developer for about 7 minutes. However, I'm having a severe problem with black circles. If I understand correctly they're caused by bubbles stuck on the film during the developer.
    There are more bubbles in the centre of the reel, and a lot of bubbles close to the edges of the film. Running my fingers down the edges of the film I can tell it's not smooth/straight where the marks are. If it's of any relevance, I have very hard water in my area.

I used a few drops of wetting agent in the developer as I've heard it helps prevent bubble marks. Perhaps I used too much and caused too much foaming inside the tank? Then again I almost filled the tank with developer so there wasn't much space for foam and to play around in.

I agitated the tank the first 30 seconds and then 5-7 seconds every minute. At times I went a bit "hardrocker" with the agitation (in retrospect I guess this would cause even more bubbles) but then again I made sure to bang and thud it often and well.

So, any ideas what I did wrong?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ljusdahl

Please confirm the marks are black on the negative or black on the positive, a bubble would cause a clear spot on the negative, I get corn flake particles on negatives they are little black spots... white when you scan them as negatives...

Never had bubbles myself...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Getting rid of bubbles is easy. Each time you agitate finish by giving the base of the tank a sharp rap against a hard surface. It dislodges them.

David.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Noel
    They appear as black "crescent moons" on the negative.

David
    I may have forgotten to do that the last few minutes. Is that enough to ruin it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It appears you may have "pinched" your film if you are seeing "crescent moon" shapes. It indicates the film has creases and folds, probably adding while loading the film on the the spiral, that now appear on your negatives.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Ljusdahl,

I assume you also did the "bang the tank" thing so I will toss in my two cents. Years ago I used tap water for mixing the chemicals but I would occasionally get air bells. Now I use distilled water to mix all my chemicals except hypo clearing agent. While I have used Xtol almost exclusively over the last 9-10 years (I can't believe it's been that long), I have occasionally used D-76, Rodinal, T-Max and PMK Pyro and I never get air bells. I also must say that I use a jobo rotary system nine out of ten times, but still no air bells when using the conventional tanks. For washing, I use well water from the tap that goes through a water softener. Final rinse in distilled with PHoto-flo (I just rinse the reels in hot water, no special cleaning).

I don't know if the distilled water actually helped, but it's cheap and I'm sticking with it.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would agree with Snapshot on this one. Sounds like you accidentally creased the film somehow during the film loading process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would add the question - did you prewet your film before adding the developer? Using a wetting agent in the developer can help but tends to cause a lot of bubbles to form. A prewet helps precondition the film and reduces the effects of the bubbles from the wetting agent.

A wetting agent in a developer is a two edged sword.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also highly recommend a water pre-soak prior to development at the same temperature as your developer.

Personally I would not recommend adding wetting agent as this can cause frothing especially when agitating the film.

The only time I've had air bells/bubbles on the negatives is when I didn't pre-soak the film first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The combination of your observation that "Running my fingers down the edges of the film I can tell it's not smooth/straight where the marks are" and the crescent shape pretty much confirms that the film got bucked somehow - probably when loading it on to the reel.

I would not put wetting agent in the developer - all that agitation is bound to froth it up (mine tends to come out pretty frothy as it is when I dump it). In any case I do not think air-bubbles was your problem here so unless you get them in future, carry on as normal, but be more careful when loading the film on to the reel ...

Good luck, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin