Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,933   Posts: 1,557,012   Online: 1173

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Foma Warmtone Classic FB Paper

I'm wondering what sorts of results I could get from selenium toning Foma warm-tone classic fiber based paper? It has a lovely sepia-ish tone to it already, but I really want to deepen the blacks. Also what developers would be best to get maximum black out of that particular paper?

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    strong selenium toner give a eggplant tone , lower dilution help to take the green cast if you ever add some.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    1 minute in Harman Selenium 1+3 gives reddish/eggplant tones. 4 minutes makes the image cooler, although still with a touch of red/brown, and deepens the shadows further. I've only tried Ilford MG developer 1+9 with this paper, but 2 minutes development time on the glossy finish paper gives good, deep blacks.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My findings are similar to Ian's, although I don't tone it these days I prefer the 'duo' colour I get by developing it in a mix of Ilford's WT/CT developers. I would certainly endorse the 2 minute dev. time.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The best combination I've found with this paper is Ilford Harman Cooltone developer then selenium toning. The cooltone developer produces pretty much neutral shadows and the Harman selenium (at 1+9) then produces really deep, dark shadows with only a hint of reddening if you leave the paper in the selenium for a long time.

Unfortunately Ilford Harman Cooltone has been dropped but there's still a little left in the channel if you search around.

I had hoped that Dokumol would be a good replacement developer but it produces noticeably green tones.

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwakel View Post
    I had hoped that Dokumol would be a good replacement developer but it produces noticeably green tones.
    That's annoying! I bought a bottle of Dokumol recently to try with this paper and Kentmere Fineprint VC, which is my other "new" paper.

Ian

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I forget to tamk about developer . This paper is quite sensitive to different developer.
    And even sensitive to developer dilution. I try it with tetenal Warm tone developer 1+9, 1+19 and 1+29 with great result and nice tone get warm red at owr dilution. by the way I the develoment is longer.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    35mm
    As a replacement for Harman CT I use tetnal Eukobrom with Foma WT. It gives good neutral to cool blacks on the warm tone base and can be cooled off further in selenium 1+20.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin