Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,697   Online: 760

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Good Morning, IloveTLRs,

I wouldn't use Dektol for general-purpose film developing. I understand that some press photographers from the mid-20th century occasionally used Dektol for film developing when they need results fast. If you're in a hurry and like lots of contrast and grain, Dektol will do the job.

In producing B & W slides by copying negatives, I have used Dektol diluted 1:1 for developing the old Kodak High Contrast Copy film. It worked quite well. I have also used Dektol, diluted about 1:15 or 1:30 to develop film used for contrast masking.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The press photographers used Dektol 1:3 for 3 minutes or 1:7 for 7 minutes. These values work for a broad range of films, but as noted above, they don't give the best grain. I've used it and have gotten acceptable results, but I was not particularly overjoyed. It is like the old Universal MQ from Kodak, I would guess.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am looking for a developer for Kodak 2431 aerial film for a special project. I have D11, D19, D76, DK50, Tmax, HC110, Rodinal, Technidol LC & Liquid, and Christie V53 which is a 2 part powder universal developer with high capacity and long life.

Advice please.

Regards
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard;

We usually tended to use higher contrast developers for aerial films, but IDK if that is true with the more modern films. I also don't know if it would be desirable to use with ground shots. Ours were done at quite high altitude and contrast enhancement was usually a good thing.

Under normal conditions, I would have selected the D-11 or D-19 for aerial shots. For ground work, I guess I would have used DK-50.

PE

Images
    I have a 1941 War Department Technical Manual of Basic Photography that gives this formula (I converted weights to grams) as the Air Force specification developer:

Water...........96 ounces

Metol............13 grams

Sodium Sulfite..182 grams

Hydroquinone...31 grams

Sodium Carbonate..216 grams

Water to make 1 gallon.

Not that much different from Dektol. It was to be diluted 1 to 4 for use on films. The smallest camera discussed was the 4X5 Graphic or equal. Interesting how times change.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Gainer,
    I will give this a try but think I will try some that I have first.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It only cost me $4 so this weekend I'll drop some film in it and see how it comes out. Lots of grain ... sounds good
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IloveTLRs - it has been recommended, time and again, that if you want a lot of grain with your films, use Dektol as film developer. If you're like me and love grain for some purposes - whammy! The stuff is really cheap!
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    some developers like to be "mellowed" to reduce the contrast.
    harvey's panthermic 777, dk 50, ansco 130 ...
    maybe dektol likes this too ....

when i say "mellow" i mean process a few rolls of film in whatever dilution you
    want to use, and then mix some of *that* in with whatever you want to process your film ...

good luck!

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol does indeed change slightly in contrast over about 3 days keeping after it is mixed.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin