Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,874   Online: 955

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Good Morning, IloveTLRs,

I wouldn't use Dektol for general-purpose film developing. I understand that some press photographers from the mid-20th century occasionally used Dektol for film developing when they need results fast. If you're in a hurry and like lots of contrast and grain, Dektol will do the job.

In producing B & W slides by copying negatives, I have used Dektol diluted 1:1 for developing the old Kodak High Contrast Copy film. It worked quite well. I have also used Dektol, diluted about 1:15 or 1:30 to develop film used for contrast masking.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The press photographers used Dektol 1:3 for 3 minutes or 1:7 for 7 minutes. These values work for a broad range of films, but as noted above, they don't give the best grain. I've used it and have gotten acceptable results, but I was not particularly overjoyed. It is like the old Universal MQ from Kodak, I would guess.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am looking for a developer for Kodak 2431 aerial film for a special project. I have D11, D19, D76, DK50, Tmax, HC110, Rodinal, Technidol LC & Liquid, and Christie V53 which is a 2 part powder universal developer with high capacity and long life.

Advice please.

Regards
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard;

We usually tended to use higher contrast developers for aerial films, but IDK if that is true with the more modern films. I also don't know if it would be desirable to use with ground shots. Ours were done at quite high altitude and contrast enhancement was usually a good thing.

Under normal conditions, I would have selected the D-11 or D-19 for aerial shots. For ground work, I guess I would have used DK-50.

PE

Images
    I have a 1941 War Department Technical Manual of Basic Photography that gives this formula (I converted weights to grams) as the Air Force specification developer:

Water...........96 ounces

Metol............13 grams

Sodium Sulfite..182 grams

Hydroquinone...31 grams

Sodium Carbonate..216 grams

Water to make 1 gallon.

Not that much different from Dektol. It was to be diluted 1 to 4 for use on films. The smallest camera discussed was the 4X5 Graphic or equal. Interesting how times change.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Gainer,
    I will give this a try but think I will try some that I have first.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It only cost me $4 so this weekend I'll drop some film in it and see how it comes out. Lots of grain ... sounds good
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IloveTLRs - it has been recommended, time and again, that if you want a lot of grain with your films, use Dektol as film developer. If you're like me and love grain for some purposes - whammy! The stuff is really cheap!
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    some developers like to be "mellowed" to reduce the contrast.
    harvey's panthermic 777, dk 50, ansco 130 ...
    maybe dektol likes this too ....

when i say "mellow" i mean process a few rolls of film in whatever dilution you
    want to use, and then mix some of *that* in with whatever you want to process your film ...

good luck!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol does indeed change slightly in contrast over about 3 days keeping after it is mixed.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin