Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,870   Online: 969

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    used with replenishment
    Do you adjust your development times as time goes on?

Ed
    Last edited by Neanderman; 01-15-2008 at 07:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix quote function
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post

Ed
    If my understanding is correct, replenishment does the following:

- Maintain consistent developer solution activity
    - Maintain a constant volume of developer
    - Provide some economy of use

So, the simple answer is that no adjustment of times are required.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
    I think the highlights look better with DD-76, than in standard D-76 (sometimes they plug up)
    I'm not familiar with DD-76 could you explain the DD part? There is an FDD-76 which I believe is Photographers Formulary version.

Thanks,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great thread. I'm an inveterate tinkerer; despite stellar results with Xtol, I have an unrelenting urge to fool with other developers. Partly this has been prompted by the declining amount of B&W film I am shooting these days, and the longer intervals between processing sessions. So I need a developer that does the job and lasts on the shelf--or one I can quickly mix from constituent chemicals--and requires no fuss to use. This odyssey has become expensive and tiresome, as I now have mostly-full bottles of DD-X (yuck), HC-110 (yawn), Xtol (hurry, hurry, might go bad), and others mouldering on my darkroom shelves.

Finally out of sheer exhaustion, I mixed up some D76H, which is D76 without the HQ and with bit more alkali (if I recall correctly). Dropping the HQ means no activity/pH change after a month of age so it's more predictable. I had not used D76 of any stripe in decades.

The results stunned me. Every film I've developed in it has been beautiful. The others are going into the waste bin--except maybe the Xtol--it's pretty darn good; and, well, maybe the HC-110 since it lasts longer than pharoah's mummy, and well....

Seriously, I've had my flings, sown my wild oats. Time to settle down with a nice girl who still has a few alluring tricks up her, ah, sleeve. (With apologies to the distaff frequenters of this forum. )
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    If my understanding is correct, replenishment does the following:
    - Maintain consistent developer solution activity
    - Maintain a constant volume of developer
    - Provide some economy of use
    So, the simple answer is that no adjustment of times are required.
    The short answers is yes and no.

If you start with totally fresh stock solution then yes you need to increase the times slightly as you begin to put more films through it, I add replenisher every few rolls of film.

But as it matures and stabilises the time become constant, I keep a little notebook with times, replenishment and comments so I can monitor the results.

When I make up a fresh batch of developer I season it with some of the previous batch. I started doing this firstb while at school with Microphen, and have continued ever since with ID-11(D76), Adox Borax MQ and now finally Xtol. Now I keep my working solution in a 2.5 litre Plastic bottle using the other 2.5 litres as the replenisher, in the past with a commercial darkroom I used deep tanks.

This way of working is extremely economical, very quick as there's no solutions to make up each time and gives excellent results.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too like D76. I've gone through a few phases, but generally stick to d76 and rodinal unless i'm pushing film. In that case it's acufine.

Never used XTOL, haven't used HC110 enough. Used to love pmk pyro (and would be receptive to using it again) and always wanted to use Harvey's 777 as well as mcm-100.

I think d76 and rodinal I like the most due to the results, ease of use, longevity in the case of rodinal and price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

i changed to d76 a half year ago. i´m verry happy mow because everything goes so easyly an my negs are getting better and better. for push i use tetenal emofin (i can´t say why, but i like it). most time i use t-max100 for 135 ,acros 100 for 120 and hp5 in both formats.
    i like the tmax more than the others (i think its only emotionally).

the good thing is, that all this is only a hobby and i can make these things out of my stomach (so we call it in austria) and i must not look for the best quality (in the eyes of other persons).

but how one writer says it before, d76 is avaiable since a very long time, so it cant be bad.

ag

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I started with ID11 (same as D76 I'm told), but I'm starting to like Ilfosol. I think I just like the convenience. I can mix up exactly how much I need from the concentrate and it gives me nice negatives with FP4+. Made the mistake of trying it with HIE once though; ugh. Bad combination.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of points:
    Stock versus dilute - dilute (1+1 or 1+3) gives slightly better sharpness, slightly more noticeable grain (fine grain developer produces fine grain by dissolving the edge of each clump of silver, this action is slightly more pronounced with stronger [stock] dev.). 1+3 dilution has slightly more compensating action (slows development of highlights while coninuing to build shadow density).
    Spot the difference - gets harder, the slower and larger the film.
    Replenisher - if you add the recommended amount after each rackful (12 4x5" hangers, etc.) it should not be necessary to adjust development times. For anything but deep tank (15 liters) development, I would forget replenishment and use 1-shot technique.
    Wnen I was a boy, D76 had the reputation of needing to stand overnight after mixing to stabilize - I haven't noticed this more recently

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Old guys sometimes do know a few things after all.
    Yeah, the older you get, the more they seem to know!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin