Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,656   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Could you elaborate in this? I know and have used Benzotriazole successfully in reducing/eliminating fog, and I know that cadmium enhances stability of photo paper (but is banned nowadays because of environmental reasons), but how do you reduce fog with cadmium (adding to the developer?)

Best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by maxbloom View Post
    Cadmium helps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think its a bit late to add Cadmium. It can be used as a white toner Don't ask I have tried it !!!!!!!!

Adding bromide can help.

Ian

Modern papers have a 2/3 year life after which they fog. They started adding chemicals so they did not have to be aged in inventory after coating and the end user got shafted.

Older paper can last decades. I have some expired in 1968 that still works, Kodak Medalist.

Ilford dates the paper by lot number, unfortunately only readable by them. An e-mail will get you the mfg date. I used to follow it and knew, but lost tract. It is in the first two digits that change by month and cycle 01 to 99 and restart. What I can`t remember is the code to match a month/year to the number. Just buy on with the highest number you can find.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    It is in the first two digits that change by month and cycle 01 to 99 and restart. What I can`t remember is the code to match a month/year to the number. Just buy on with the highest number you can find.
    What???? I would suspect that a number beginning with, oh, say 03 would be fresher than oh, say 86
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford coding system which had nothing to do with emulsion/batch numbers used to be a letter followed by two digits, these indicate the date of manufacture, the digits were the last two numbers of the year. I've used very little Ilford paper and almost no film since about 1986 so I can't tell you when the system changed.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    I tossed the paper, but now I wished I'd kept it. Perhaps some day I could fix the paper and coat it with one of PE's Azo like emulsions.
    How does one "repair" the paper ? i.e. strip off/remove the emulsion in preparation for coating it with another emulsion ?

I also have plenty of out of date or fogged paper that could be put to good use this way.

Peter
    Last edited by PeterB; 01-18-2008 at 05:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarified reply

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You fix the paper and wash it well, you don't actually remove the emulsion just the silver salts.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin