Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,208   Online: 713

Shooter
    Medium Format

Slow working developers

I'm wondering if anyone can offer a few suggestions for slower working developers.

I need lots of contrast and preferably colder toners. At present, I'm experimenting with new developers, with Dokumol being the latest. Basically with stronger dilutions, the image is emerging too quickly, so something which works slower.

Shooter
    35mm
    With modern high contrast formulas, development can be slowed by extreme dilution

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since prints are developed to near completion, the paper pretty well determines both the contrast and the image tone. The developer has some effect, but not a whole lot. You might look into Agfa 108, Beers No. 7, and the high contrast mix of D-64 to get a little more contrast. Amidol also gives high contrast, but it may warm the image some, and it always works fast. Diluting the developer lengthens the working time, but it may warm the image a bit with some developers. I've used Dektol at 1+5 to get some more time, and I've seen recommendations for dilutions up to 1+14 for some similar developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    the paper pretty well determines both the contrast and the image tone. The developer has some effect, but not a whole lot.
    Not quite true, all the companies used to produce a range of paper developers.

Agfa Adaptol, Kodak Selectol Soft, Ilford ID-3 are all very soft working and will reduce paper contrast by between a half to almost a full grade. And then there are contrast developers like ID-14 which will give about a half grade increase in contrast.

On top of this you can have warm or cold tone developers, a warmtone paper gives cold tones in a cold tone developer.

So choice of paper developer can be critical when you want to get the best print from your paper.

Diluting your developer 1+14 instead of 1+9 will give you a slow down in developing time.

Some papers have developer incorporators which speed up the development, in that case dilution has far less effect.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If you want to use a strong developer and have it work slowly, which seems at odds in concept, you might try really cold temperature developer. Seems like that would slow down the activity.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think I just thought of the obvious answer to your quest...slow working, strong dilution, cold tones. Add a bunch of benzotriazole to your developer. Should slow it down, keep it contrasty, and make for cold tones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just the dilution will do, add a bit of benzotriazole if you want but processing at a temperature below about 65°F/18°C is not a good idea they tend not to work properly.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ansco 130 diluted? It gives a great black, and has good tray life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I think I just thought of the obvious answer to your quest...slow working, strong dilution, cold tones. Add a bunch of benzotriazole to your developer. Should slow it down, keep it contrasty, and make for cold tones.
    Cheers! Edwal Liquid Orthazite should do that then.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin