Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,649   Posts: 1,481,291   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Jan !
    A word of caution : I used Protectan on E6 chemistry concentrate (Kodak) and it appears it has turned the chemistry bad on the colour developer.
    I suspect the butane has reacted somewhat with one of the compound of the chemistry.
    I a very old book of darkroom practice, I've seen a drawing for a can devised to hold chemistry unaffected for long periods : the bottle has a pump to get it pressurized, and a tube to collect the chemistry from the bottom. Once partially filled, you deposit a thin coating of oil on the chemistry making an air barrier ..... Avoid using the last cc of chemistry if you do not like oily negs ;-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I do admid I need to take moe pics and print more of them. Busy job, two young kids and all of that... I use the protectan for more expensive solutions. Goldtoner mainly and lith developer...

Thanks for your advice

Jaap jan
    Gold toner does not need protecting.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Gold toner does not need protecting.
    Really, are you sure? That's were I use it most for. When I started using goldtoner I found I needed 2 liters of sulotion to tone 30x40 cm prints, and started immediately to protact(an) my investment... I never tried if it would go off without ....

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder View Post
    Really, are you sure? That's were I use it most for. When I started using goldtoner I found I needed 2 liters of sulotion to tone 30x40 cm prints, and started immediately to protact(an) my investment... I never tried if it would go off without ....

Jaap Jan
    I have used Tetenal gold toner for about ten years and have never felt the need to protect it other than using a dedicated tray and funnel. It gets stored in it's original bottle until it is exhausted. I find it lasts between 6 and 9 month, the time obviously depends on usage. I find one litre more than enough to tone a 30x40 print by the way.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gang ... GANG!!

There seems to be an assumption that I recommended a LARGE "blowtorch" to deliver a burst of Butane. Not so.

Attached is an image of the BernzoMatic **MINI** Torch (No - NOT the item made by FUJI - the OTHER one).

Precise metering - refillable - and Butane cartridges are inexpensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OLE1809a.jpg  
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Protect chemistry with layer of oil?

We know that oxygen destroys developer, and that's why we drive out air with Protectan, marbles, accordion containers, and floating lids.
    But I had this idea:
    Pour a thin layer of oil on top of the chemistry, and draw the chemistry out with a thin tube, or with a spigot at the bottom.
    A quick search showed the quote below, so this idea was used long ago, and a product was even made based on it.

Is anyone doing this nowadays? If so, what kind of oil do you use? And do you have any idea how much this extends the life of your chemistry?

Mark Overton

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgesGiralt View Post
    Hi Jan !
    A word of caution : I used Protectan on E6 chemistry concentrate (Kodak) and it appears it has turned the chemistry bad on the colour developer.
    I suspect the butane has reacted somewhat with one of the compound of the chemistry.
    I a very old book of darkroom practice, I've seen a drawing for a can devised to hold chemistry unaffected for long periods : the bottle has a pump to get it pressurized, and a tube to collect the chemistry from the bottom. Once partially filled, you deposit a thin coating of oil on the chemistry making an air barrier ..... Avoid using the last cc of chemistry if you do not like oily negs ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glass marbles to displace all the gas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Squishable PET (reused soda) plastic bottles are so much easier.
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin