Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,097   Online: 890

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Caffeic acid, C9H8O4 (CAS 331-39-5)is a naturally occurring phenolic compound, (formerly called carbolic acid). Carbolic acid was succesfully used as a photographic developer during the 19th century.

Caffeic acid is also a very effective antioxidant.

Coffee (specifically instant coffee) is an inexpensive source of Caffeic acid. Of course, instant coffee also contains caffine (useless as a developer) and various other contaminants.

There are many commercial chemical suppliers around that will be glad to sell you Caffeic acid from high purity research grade on down.

Green Developer

Water
    Instant Coffee (Caffeic acid)
    Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)

You can drink it as-is:

or add Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) and develop film or prints with it. A Green for Gold version with higher purity Caffeic acid is also available at a very high cost.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hope you guys are using organically grown coffee that pay the farmworkers living salaries for your Green Developers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    By the way - tannic acid from wood and plant fibers will also develop film. Has anyone tried leaching the barkdust in their yard yet to see how that compares with the coffee? You get a nice stain very similar to pyrocatechol with tannic acid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    By the way - tannic acid from wood and plant fibers will also develop film. Has anyone tried leaching the barkdust in their yard yet to see how that compares with the coffee? You get a nice stain very similar to pyrocatechol with tannic acid.
    All the bark, wood chips, etc. belong to my horticulturist wife.

But she's ok with me using some of our Rosemary (loaded with caffeic Acid, BTW).
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you grow rosemary, you soon have way more than any normal person could use, and it smells better than D-76.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If you grow rosemary, you soon have way more than any normal person could use, and it smells better than D-76.
    Oh yes! lots of Rosemary and she's just planted a 3 foot Ceiba pentandra sapling (leaves loaded with caffeic acid).
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    and it smells better than caffenol C too!
    my favorite reply too "how long do you develop your film in coffee based developer"
    is "until you can't stand that foul smell anymore"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cahayapemburu View Post
    Brian, I understand the novelty of using coffee to develop film, which covers reasons 1,4, and 6 on your list. I don't think your reasons numbers 3 and 5 are at all valid regarding a comparison to standard developers, which leaves reason #2 as the only potentially relevant point, if in fact you use coffee developers because you're sensitive to, or wary of standard staining developers, and for some reason you're determined to use a staining developer instead of something like Xtol. As far as boiling goes, my question was definitely not ,"Why try something new and unknown when this works better?". As a user of 510 pyro I get a lot of that kind of commentary directed at me, but there's a big difference between innovation and novelty, and because this thread is concerned with the question of commercially producing a coffee-based developer, inquiring into the rationale for using one is not unreasonable. What my question really boils down to is this: if you were to commercially produce a coffee-based developer, how would you sell it? Would you market it based on the novelty of its origin, or on some property that makes it superior in some way to other commercially available developers? If the latter, what would that property be?
    cahayapemburu, first let me apologize. I took your previous posts out context in relation to this thread. I am sorry for that.
    Coffee based developers could I think be marketed as the others have mentioned on an environmentally safe platform, as well as a low contrast and easy to use developer. Granted there are many low contrast easy to use developers out there but one more wouldn't hurt.
    Do I think someone should go to the expense of formulating, testing and marketing such a product? No. I wouldn't buy it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Brian, no apology necessary. For what it's worth, I wouldn't buy a coffee-based developer either, and I don't understand the appeal for others. I think the green argument is specious, given the minute quantities of developing agent contained in dilute, low contrast staining developers, and the relative economy of a coffee-based developer is equally debateable. I guess I'm just glad I don't have to rely on coffee to develop my film, and can enjoy it in capuccino form instead. In fact, I think I'll pull a shot now, in honor of all our kitchen sink chemists. Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used Rosemary recently...worked OK

smells soooooo much better than Coffee

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin