Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,254   Online: 750

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I emailed Artcraft two days ago, and still no response. Is this the norm from these guys?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sometimes Michael makes trips to Canada, so yes sometimes this happens. Be patient, he is a good guy and will take care of you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brian,
    It has been my experience that when I phone (evenings or weekends only) that I have reached Mike and he has been very accomodating. He has an 800 number which is listed on his web site. By way of information, Artcraft is a "second job" for Mike and that is the reason for his "unusual" business hours. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Images
    Just got a reply to my email. Now I am more confused. It is $8 for one liter worth of amidol (I'll grab enough for a few sessions), but he offered me two different fixers.

FIRST FIXER:
    32 ounces dry measure Sodium Thiosulfate Prismatic Rice Crystals per each gallon of water. Mix at around 90 degrees. We mix 10 gallons at a time as a stock solution.

For use: To each 1/2 gallon of fixer Add 25 g of Sodium Bisulfite.
    Fix for 30 seconds. Turn on the light. Inspect print. Fix additional 3,5 minutes (4 minutes total).

SECOND FIXER

Sodium Thiosulfate without bisulfite Use for 4 minutes.

which one do I need?

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brian,

Typically in processing fiber prints, for archival purposes, one uses two fixing baths. The first would be the 32 oz of Thiosulfate per gallon of water mixture, which would then have the Bisulfite added to it. The second fixing bath would have the Thiosulfate at the same dilution without the Bisulfite.

The second fixing bath of this printing session would be saved and it becomes the first fixing bath of the next printing session by adding bisulfite to it. So each printing session you would use a fresh mixture of the Thiosulfate/water mixture for the second fixer bath and add the Bisulfite to the first (saved) batch from the previous session.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ May 6 2003, 09:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Wow, 5 lbs of thiosulfate per gallon of fixer </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Maybe it&#39;s only two pounds or so. The point is, 5 lbs. doesn&#39;t last very long. You use 32 oz. dry measure per gallon. Now that I think about it, the 5lb. I bought from Mike made two gallons. I only have a little bit left not enough to make a gallon. Next time I&#39;m ordering 20 lbs.
    Jim

Images
    Amidol and Fix ordered. I&#39;ll be waiting on the front porch now...
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The last time I ordered Thiosulfate from Artcraft, I ordered a 50 lb bag even though Mike only advertises 20 lbs. He was kind enough to put the bag into a box for shipping to me. The bonus was that 50 lbs from Artcraft was less expensive then 20 lbs from Formulary.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How much was the 50 lbs. bag? The cost of this damn fixer is killing me.
    Jim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin