Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,162   Online: 820

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How many prints does it get you to make an OK print?

Assuming you're using test strips.

I'm not talking perfection, just "this looks pretty close" feeling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    90% of the time I get a good working print first try, the other 10% 2 to as many as 50, differnt papers, developers and grades.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    90% of the time I get a good working print first try, the other 10% 2 to as many as 50, differnt papers, developers and grades.
    Are the other 10% because the negative is bad?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2. But that is if I'm doing something where I feel pretty at home. But that is ok with Minuscules.
    /matti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If I'm using test strips properly, it'll be 1 print, but I tend to know what contrast I want/need. If I try to get fancier and say oh yeah it'll be about that based on previous prints, i tend to use more paper, missing the right time lots.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it takes me more than around 6 or 7 sheets of paper (including test strips), I make a note of the problems and move onto another negative to print. I do not enjoy wasting paper, and I find if I get to wrapped up with one specific print it can become consuming and the rest of my darkroom session gets tainted. Once I have around 4 or 5 prints I am happy with, I go back to the problem child negative/print. Sometimes that might be after taking a small break so I can go back refreshed so I do not repeat my errors. This actually happened to me the other night. It was a rather contrasty ACROS neg developed in pyrocat and I just coul dnot get the highlights to print for the life of me. I tried my usaul guess at the contrast filtration, and split grade printing (which usually decides how the outcome will look) Neither way was able to allow me to print in the highlights the way I wanted. In the end, I ende dup making a mask (something I thought I'd never have to do with pyro dev's negatives) It still would not print!!! The neg did not look overly dense, and it cost me 7 sheets of paper.... Time to move onto something that works until I can figure out what to try next. It was the end of my darkroom session for me that night.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Wow, I never get that close first time.
    With some negs the picture just seem to be right within 2 or 3 prints.
    However, most seem to take 5 or 6 to get decent prints
    With some, I have never managed it - after 15 to 20 goes.
    I know a decent print is in there somewhere but it needs a better printer than me to get it.
    I spent 3 solid days doing a print for an exhibition once - and still wasn't sure I had got the best out of it.
    Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This question's loaded.

Usually I can get to a good working "OK" print first time, I can read negatives and have printed for lot of other pphotographers But an OK print easily by the second print.

An Exhibition print is something else . . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK - not many. With split grade printing, probably 4 with 2 being full sheet tests (I don't use strips). To really nail it... maybe 8 or even 10 if it's something tough. With graded paper, probably 3 with 1 being a full sheet test. To really nail it... maybe 6 sheets or more. It always depends on how close the scene was to my interpretation. I hate running though paper but I hate bad prints more. I'm improving my printing skills every year though sometimes that means I end up using more paper because I can eventually get it just right...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Are the other 10% because the negative is bad?
    No just different, I have developed my methods over the past 40 years, I test my paper with a step wedge (not BZS) so I know what tones to expect, I test my film for speed and film development times. But lighting can still fool me and my meters. Even using the Zone System sometimes I pick the wrong zone, with 35mm the matrix meter in my 35mm misreas the lighting. And a working print is not a final print. A final print may take many different approaches to burning and dodging to get what I want.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin