Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,756   Posts: 1,516,005   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the (1995) APX25 data sheet:

http://www.aphog.de/downloads/agfa/agfapanapx25.pdf

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, I did my first rolls ever in Rodinal tonight.

I did a test of two rolls of FP4 120 in my hassy. The came out OK, but some pin holes did occur ( water filter? Use stop bath instead of water stop? )

I went with 1/50, 15 minutes at 68F. I have not really found any agitation notes on this stuff so I winged it a bit. While using a Patterson 4 tank, I did about one 1/2 turn of the spindle a second for the first 30 seconds. I then did one 1/2 turn per second for 10 seconds on the first roll and 1 per second for 5 seconds on the second roll every minute.

There really was not much of a difference. The film came out reasonably sharp but with a little more grain than I was expecting so I may relegate FP4 to people and street photography only and use Pan-F for landscapes and still life work.

The negs seemed to have only OK tonal range, but it was uber flat light in snow so the lack of contrast might be more to do with the light than my agitation?

The films I look to soup in Rodinal are FP4, Pan-F and smatterings of my APX-25 stock. In getting the best out of the APX-25, is there a better soup for it?

And as for the Rodinal in general, what is the best method of agitation for medium to low contrast scenes? Rodinal is well over 100 years old, I figure there has to be a good deal of info in regards to all aspects of using it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PKM, I can only answer your question on agitation. I have indeed shot some APX-25 in the past, and Rodinal is a fine developer for it.
    If you're shooting medium to low contrast scenes you want to increase the contrast to reach a normal level, right? If you intend on keeping your development time the same I would say agitate more often than during normal development. That will insure that the developer does not exhaust in the highlights as quickly and can continue to build contrast instead of slowing down. Or you can develop your film longer.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I just did the first roll, it came out nice. Love those Hewes reels!

PKM's High Altitude lab is officially in business!

By the way, I wanted to run this roll of APX25 as a test as I only have 100 rolls of it in 120, So I really want to use it sparingly like my TechPan stash ( 100 rolls as well ).

In tapping into the vast experience here, how does Efke 25 compare to APX25? Also, does anyone have any experience with the new Rollie ATP V1 "Techpan" replacement film? I know it is in 35mm for now but the 120 is supposed to be due out some time this year.

I have also souped some Pan-F in Rodinal and while it is a darn nice film, APX25 is just in another league as far as grain goes. It makes me want to cry that it is gone.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 01-24-2008 at 12:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin