Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,536   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak D-76

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak D-76

I'm semi-decently knew to darkroom and was wondering, when you mix water with the D-76 powder solution, would that be considered a 1:1 solution or a 1+0 solution?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you mix the powder, that becomes the full strength stock solution. Commonly the stock is diluted 1:1 for use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    alright, well could somebody spot me on what I'm doing wrong here b/c the developer doesn't seem to be sticking to my 120 film and when I'm washing it the film is completely purple.
    I'm using Ilford Delta 400
    I agitate D76 in the tank for 9.5 minutes.
    Put stop for 1/2 a minute
    and then 3 minutes on the fixer. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong,help pleaseee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG.

When you mix a box of powder solutions for initial mixing of D76 you have made what is called stock solution.

You can develop films in this stock solution, once it has cooled to the correct temperature, which is generally regarded as 20C you can though develop films at temperatures from 20C to 24C with a time in the developer change to develop the films correctly.

1+1 is a dilution which is very popular. You take 1 part of stock solution and 1 part of normal water to make up the required amount of developer needed to develop your film(s).

I myself use D76 1+1 virtually exclusively for film developing, and have for many years.

If you use D76 at 1+1 dilution, then you shouldn't use the used developer again, you need to discard it.

If you use straight stock solution as a developer then you can re-use the solution, however subsequent uses of the developer will normally require longer times in the developer to get the same result. The developer basically weakens with each roll that it develops.

Hope this is helpful.

You may wish to do a search of developers using D76 as a key word, you will be amazed at what turns up.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

"when I'm washing it the film is completely purple. "

Sometimes the purple thing happens to me too, can't figure out why. It happened last week for the first time in a long while with Tri-X in D-76 1:1 followed by a 30 sec water rinse then Ilford's rapid fixer for 3-4 mins. I just doubled my rinse time from 10 mins to 20 mins and the purple went away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The coloring is the anti-halation coating on the film. If you pre-rinse your film for 2 or 3 minutes before development most of it will be gone by the time you fix it. The color varies from film to film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm by no means an expert in the darkroom, but maybe this will help: Sometimes the purple is either not fixing long enough (your fixer may be partially exhausted), or you didn't rinse the film enough. If you add a hypo-clearing agent step, it seems to make the washing much shorter, at least for me.
    Hope that helps,
    Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what fixer you are using, but 3 minutes sounds too short. Try 5-6 minutes and see if that helps.

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I heard that 3 minutes would work just fine, but I'll definately try 5 or 6 minutes next time.
    Thanks for all the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you aren't using a rapid fix, then 3 minutes is probably not long enough. Even if it is a rapid, it may not be long enough, if it's not fresh. Ilford says slightly longer times are recommended for Delta vs products like HP5.
    How long are you washing the film after the fix?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin