Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,701   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

How much chemical do you use?

I I have a Paterson 2 reel tank that states 290ml is required for 1 roll of 35mm film. I placed that amount in the tank and it just covers the reel (no surprise here). My question is if you really should put in more than the minimal amount to have enough chemical present to properly develop the film (i.e. small amounts get used up and give inconsistent results).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlpape View Post
    I I have a Paterson 2 reel tank that states 290ml is required for 1 roll of 35mm film. I placed that amount in the tank and it just covers the reel (no surprise here). My question is if you really should put in more than the minimal amount to have enough chemical present to properly develop the film (i.e. small amounts get used up and give inconsistent results).
    I have also been using a 2 reel Paterson tank. If you're developing two rolls at once, it's hard to use too much more that 290ml per roll, becuase that just about fills the tank.

When I'm developing a single roll in that tank, I'll use a bit more that 290, not because I think 290 is not enought fluid to do the job, but becuase I worry that if the tank is not precisly level, the top of one side of the reel might not be fully submerged.

I haven't had any problems.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a matter of course when using Paterson System 4 Universal tanks I use a min. of 350 ml for 35mm film and 600ml for 120 film.

This is to allow for possible upward movement of the reel even with the retaining clip in place, and to prevent uneven edge development caused by 'frothing' of the developer.

I do not add a wetting agent to the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 300ml for each roll of film or 1,000ml fir 3 rolls using the Paterson tanks. Never had a problem with insufficient solution.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For most normal developers you should be okay. If you use very dilute developers like PMK or Rodinal 1:100, you might want more, like 500ml per 35mm roll.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    My tank (not a Patterson) also specifies 290ml, but I usually round it up to 300ml to make mixing the right quantities of chemical that bit easier to calculate.

You don't specify which developer you are using (I only have experience with D-76/ID-11 and DD-X), but assuming you're mixing to the "standard" recommended dilution, don't worry about there not being "enough" developer in that one shot; there is more than enough for one roll - in fact, I frequently develop an extra roll in the same shot with no problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I now use 30ml in a film container when developing a single frame of 35mm film from homemade cameras made out of film containers...works great, and it's kind of amusing too

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with Snapshot. 300 ml per 35 mm, 500 ml per 120, 1,000 ml per 3 tank and 1,500 ml per 5-tank. I never use less than 150 ml of stock per film. Never use less than 5 ml of Rodinal per film. No problems in 25 years. (I probably just jinxed myself here!!!)

Shooter
    35mm
    You can get away with 240ml with a Jobo. There's an argument that say that more than just enough to cover the reel prevents proper agitation. Certainly in the Jobo the specified amount of 240 takes the liquid to the top of the tank and does seem to restrict proper agitation.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    It depend on the product you use. Take Xtol for example, Kodak state that you should use 100 CC stock per 135/36 or equivalent surface. If you use it 1+3, you are with 400 CC for one film. If you go to PMK you need about 500 CC at 1+2+100 to do one film. so you'll be overfilling the tank with 2 films in it....
    Of course, this is not a problem with Paterson tanks and hand inversion, you can take a 5 reel tank and put only one reel into it, but when you plan to use a Jobo CPE2 processor with 600 CC maximal capacity (in order not to stress the motor) you are limited to some products or a single film at a time...
    Of course Rodinal (6 cc minimal concentrate per film) or HC110 are different beast !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin