Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,900   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Photographic Chemistry Texts

I am looking for some decent texts on photographic chemistry. My primary interest is black and white photography. I have an extensive technical background with a fairly good general chemistry component. My goals are to extend my knowledge of the photographic chemical processes and to understand better what is going on when I mix my own chemistry. I checked with Amazon and see many texts listed. So I would appreciate some recommendations from people here. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good starter is:

L.A. Mason, Photographic Processing Chemistry. Focal Press, Mason was Head of Research at Ilford

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Grant Haist's "Modern Photographic Processing". He is now publishing it himself and you can order it directly from him. The address is here on APUG. If you cannot locate it, contact me and I'll look it up.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I forgot to add the very thorough treatment in Mees and James, "The Theory of the Photographic Process". C. E. K. Mees was director of research at Kodak, and James was one of the most senior researchers along with Grant Haist.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks folks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One far better tome than Mason or Haist, a bit older but much more interesting.

L.P. Clerc, Photographic Theory and Practice

It's only better because of it's breadth, everything about photography, and it does have things that Mason & Haist miss out

Like white print toners.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What editions of Clerc and Mason do people recommend. I see Clerc up to second edition in 1944, and Mason with 1966 and 1975.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kirk;

There are 3 editions of Mason. They are 1966, 1975 and 1979. The one I have quoted from regarding fixing and washing is the 3rd edition.

Another fine book is "Photographic Chemicals and Solutions" by Crabtree and Matthews but being from 1939 is rather dated. Another one is "Photographic Chemistry" by Eaton. I have quoted from it and posted a few pictures here showing emulsion making at Kodak.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    There are 3 editions of Mason. They are 1966, 1975 and 1979.

Another fine book is "Photographic Chemicals and Solutions" by Crabtree and Matthews but being from 1939 is rather dated.
    I have Mason's 1966 ed (wasn't aware of the 1979...) and Crabtree and Matthews. I find them both indispensable. C & M seems, to me, to more directly address some topics in chemical formulation.

I used Haist extensively in college, when I had easy access to the library copy. I haven't seen Mason's 1979 edition (this roughly corresponds to Haist's publication date), but in my opinion, Haist is incomparable. It is truly exhaustive in scope (and rather massive, with 2 volumes, one for b/w and one for color).

I also have Mees & James 3rd edition (1966). That book is just plain daunting... :o

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, as one of Grant's proof readers or editors if you will, I think Haist is wonderful but only up until that date. And, there is so much he could not tell.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin