Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,142   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FILM IN THE FREEZER

Hi,
    Just got a new freezer with the intention to freeze a mass of B&W film including Kodak HIE.
    I intend to wrap each roll individually in cling film then bag up in tens.
    Does this sound OK and how long should they last?

Cheers JON.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally, that would be fine and you really don't have to do all the wrapping for pan films, just freeze in the box or plastic canister.

I *think* you may be misleading yourself with HIE. IIRC, this film doesn't last as long, even frozen, than pan films. You may be storing something that goes bad anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt the HIE will last unless you've got a -80.

Wasn't there already a thread about long-term storage options for HIE?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JON@jb-ci View Post
    Hi,
    Just got a new freezer with the intention to freeze a mass of B&W film including Kodak HIE.
    I intend to wrap each roll individually in cling film then bag up in tens.
    Does this sound OK and how long should they last?
    Cheers JON.
    Hi Jon,
    Don't use cling film as it will lose its clingy-ness after a short time in the cold.

Double bag them using zip lock bags. This is what I have done with my HIE rolls. I bagged say 2 per small zip lock bag, then into a larger zip-lock bag, I placed about 4 or 5 of the smaller bags of two.

BTW when you wrote "wrap each roll individually" I HOPE for HIE you meant "wrap each canister individually" !! DO NOT OPEN the HIE canisters until you are ready to use the HIE - and then in total darkness. In fact the same goes for any 35mm film canisters (wrt exposure to the atmosphere not light) as the seal should be fine for offering a layer of protection and the canister most likely already contains an inert gas anyway (assuming it has never been opened after leaving the factory).

Contrary to other replies you received in this thread, I have been unable to find any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) that HIE won't last at least 10-15 years when frozen. In fact I remember reading once that somebody had success thawing a roll that was frozen for about 10 years (IIRC).

Here is the latest thread I remember contributing to on this very same topic.

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Like Peter, I use Zip Lock baggies. Sometimes i even throw in a desiccant pack.
    They all go into the freezer that way and my film is happy there.
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Contrary to other replies you received in this thread, I have been unable to find any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) that HIE won't last at least 10-15 years when frozen. In fact I remember reading once that somebody had success thawing a roll that was frozen for about 10 years (IIRC).

Here is the latest thread I remember contributing to on this very same topic.

regards
    Peter
    Hi Peter,

I too am surprised about these comments: from my own experience: I have used HIE film (re spooled from a big roll by Rolland Elliot), frozen for about 6 years, used last summer without any problem. That said: 35mm rolls form the very first MACO run (have to look that one up, I guess about 7 years ago) did loose their IR sensitivity after about 3-4 years, even when kept frozen at -20degC

Luckily I haven't seen this phenomena with my frozen stock of 4*5 inch MACO
    IR film, but these sheets are younger than the mentioned prototype 35mm film

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Hi Peter,

I too am surprised about these comments: from my own experience: I have used HIE film (re spooled from a big roll by Rolland Elliot), frozen for about 6 years, used last summer without any problem. That said: 35mm rolls form the very first MACO run (have to look that one up, I guess about 7 years ago) did loose their IR sensitivity after about 3-4 years, even when kept frozen at -20degC

Luckily I haven't seen this phenomena with my frozen stock of 4*5 inch MACO
    IR film, but these sheets are younger than the mentioned prototype 35mm film

Best,

Cor
    Hi Cor,

The dye used by MACO film is different to that used by Kodak's HIE, so it would be an unfair comparison if we attempt to assume the same for HIE.

Secondly, the younger MACO film may be a better product than the one you experienced problems with. As MACO hasn't had as much time or resources as Kodak to improve the quality of their formulations.

regards
    Peter

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Hi Cor,

The dye used by MACO film is different to that used by Kodak's HIE, so it would be an unfair comparison if we attempt to assume the same for HIE.

Secondly, the younger MACO film may be a better product than the one you experienced problems with. As MACO hasn't had as much time or resources as Kodak to improve the quality of their formulations.

regards
    Peter
    Peter,

I was not comparing both dyes, AFAIK was the MACO film made by EFKE, they used "normal" pan film (100 asa) and "doped" it with an IR sensitive dye, so that's why it needs heavier filtering that HIE resulting in very low speed.

HIE was a emulsion sepcialy designed to register IR light.

I also mentioned that I did not have problems with younger emulsion runs of MACO (in 4*5) format.

Nowadays MACO does not offer IR film by EFKE anymore, EFKE is marketing it by itself (oa through Freestyle),

Best,

Cor

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    ... AFAIK was the MACO film made by EFKE, they used "normal" pan film (100 asa) and "doped" it with an IR sensitive dye, so that's why it needs heavier filtering that HIE resulting in very low speed.
    That the MACO IR 820c was a "normal" emulsion doped with a IR sensitiser may be correct, but I don't think the conclusion necessarily follows. HIE has a lot more "deep IR" sensitivity, making IR a larger proportion of the light registering on the film. A "near IR" film like the MACO will need heavier filtering and give less (relative) sensitivity due to a different sensitising dye.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    That the MACO IR 820c was a "normal" emulsion doped with a IR sensitiser may be correct, but I don't think the conclusion necessarily follows. HIE has a lot more "deep IR" sensitivity, making IR a larger proportion of the light registering on the film. A "near IR" film like the MACO will need heavier filtering and give less (relative) sensitivity due to a different sensitising dye.
    Hi Ole,

If you look at the spectral sensitive curve of HIE at: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...002_0333ac.gif

You'll see an peculiar curve (apart from a high UV sensitivity), it gets a dip around blue, rises through green to red, and drops of at say 880 nm. I could not find the curve of EFKE IR, but I seem to recall a more or less normal pan response, and a little tail into near IR upto 700 or so. So you need an heavy cut back on the visible part to be able to get an IR effect (this is more so for the new IR film of MACO, but at least you are than left with a "fast" speed of around 4 asa opposed to the 1-1.5 with efke...

Anyway, we are saying the same thing anyway I guess..

Best,

Cor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin