Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,488   Online: 936

Shooter
    Large Format

Chemical Formulas: Distilled Or Deionised Water? Does It Matter?

Chemical formulas for photographic processing and printing, frequently recommend the use of distilled water, whilst deionised and purified water are considered acceptable substitutes. I have found that both distilled and purified water are nigh on impossible to obtain. Whereas deionised water is readily available as car battery top up water.

What I would like to know is, what advantages and/or disadvantages are there, if any, of using one of these types of water over another?

(I don't need to know the difference between each of the three types of water.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a recent thread on this very subject with lots of replies and lots of detailed information. It might be helpful to look at that thread.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may help answer your question.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...red-water.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahombi View Post
    Chemical formulas for photographic processing and printing, frequently recommend the use of distilled water, whilst deionised and purified water are considered acceptable substitutes. I have found that both distilled and purified water are nigh on impossible to obtain. Whereas deionised water is readily available as car battery top up water.

What I would like to know is, what advantages and/or disadvantages are there, if any, of using one of these types of water over another?

(I don't need to know the difference between each of the three types of water.)
    An alternative is bottled water intended for drinking, sold by supermarkets. The analysis of the water is given on the bottle and some have very low impurity levels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use distilled water after I got a significant amount of calcium carbonate when I mixed one of my developer formulas.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin