Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 886

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John, I appreciate your input and am envious that you are comfortable with the process you use to express your vision. I am hoping to find a process that allows me to do the same. Some time success is found on the road less traveled. Time will tell if I am able to achieve that which I seek. Thanks for your insight and I will take your warnings to heart.
    "All I want is a warm bed and a kind word, and unlimited power."[FONT="Verdana"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you know that human urine contains pyrocatechin?

Pyrogallol and pyrocatechin (or catechol as some call it) aren't all that dangerous. Reasonable care mitigates the risks.

Hydroquinone is quite dangerous too. We use it without batting an eye.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "Did you know that human urine contains pyrocatechin?" - PhotoJim

You're my hero! I'm about to try to convince the wife that a good night out with the boys is saving money on expensive developer!! Wish me luck!!

John V: I hear you. I do use 4x5 - but, though I often covet an 8x10, I know I'd photograph less with equipment that bulky. It's a little like the toy cameras. My initial reaction to the craze was "what a load of c#!p"; but I was recently forced to admit that I really do like some of the work done with them. Not all' but then, I'm a big fan of Ansel Adam's and Edward Weston's work - but some of their images do nothing for me. I guess if there was a universal formula for good art it just wouldn't be art.

Again, if you haven't done so go to the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site. There is an article on how staining developers work and safety issues with staining developers.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    sSteve, Yes I did read said article and found it valuable in my research.. Thanks
    "All I want is a warm bed and a kind word, and unlimited power."[FONT="Verdana"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are worried about health and the environment, but still want to use a staining developer, check out this thread on APUG.

Commercial Coffenol manufacturer?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    ...snip...
    http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/172/8/1002
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Damn! If I have to contract ochronosis to get away with a good night out - guess I'll just take my medicine like a man!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    John, you imply that you find that using staining developers requires more effort than using a non-staining one. Would you like to amplify, if that is indeed what you meant?
    Ernie, the only reason that I use a staining developer (Prescysol) is that I find the negatives produced with it easier to print, requiring less burning and dodging than with other developers. It certainly doesn't convert a mediocre picture into a work of art, or inject emotion into the print; that's got to be done in camera surely.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post

Pyrogallol and pyrocatechin (or catechol as some call it) aren't all that dangerous. Reasonable care mitigates the risks.

Hydroquinone is quite dangerous too. We use it without batting an eye.
    And hydroquinone is also a staining developer. Use it in place of catechol in Pyrocat HD or MC and you'll see. Not the same color, but staining nonetheless.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin