Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,565   Online: 1104

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HP5+ and Pyrocat HD: dilution/time/temp/agitation please?

Hi!

OK, I've spent part of the afternoon looking this and I have my fill!
    Got some negs to develop asap but the DDX I have is most surely bad
    now (more than one year) however I have some pyrocat so I was
    wondering is anyone has some starting point on the dilution and
    development time to process HP5+ (120) in Pyrocat? I got some
    Rodinal but I'd rather not use it with HP5.

I's amazing that most of the info I found here seems to always
    miss some important point: one mentions the time and temp but
    not the dilution, others dilution and time but not the temperature.

And I process film in tanks. I'm used to semi-stand and stand
    development but I have never used it with HP5+...

Regards!
    jf
    jf
    --
    "The fact was I had the vision...I think everyone has...what we lack is the method." J.Kerouac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy King, who developed Pyrocat in its' various forms, has published an article on the Unblinkingeye web site:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/PCat/pcat.html

There is more information here than you might wish to know but it is important you read and comprehend it all.

He does provide a development chart for 5+ and just about all popular films of today.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I rate my HP5+ at 200 asa, soup in PyroCat-HD 1:1:100 for 10 minutes. 15 second initial agg and then 10 seconds every 60 thereafter. 20C water temp, water stop and normal fix. Oh ya, 3 minute pre-soak. I use filtered tap water. My darkroom is 8 feet below ground and I face south when processing film. LOL. One more thing, I develop my film while in the nude. Anymore detail than that would get just a little too personal.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do 18' semi-stand, 1:1:100 rated at 200ISO @70f. That's 90" initial agitation then 10" every 3 minutes thereafter.

I'm printing with a condenser enlarger on VC paper.

There are a lot of variables, so you really have to test, but it's a good starting point.

Good luck,

Will
    Last edited by Will S; 01-22-2008 at 09:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    I do 18' semi-stand, 1:1:100 rated at 200ISO. That's 90" initial agitation then 10" every 3 minutes thereafter.

I'm printing with a condenser enlarger on VC paper.

There are a lot of variables, so you really have to test, but it's a good starting point.

Good luck,

Will
    I rated the HP5+ at 200 and on a not-so-important roll had a go with 1:1:200 at 20C,
    with first a presoak in plain water for 5mins, water out, dev in, 1 min of continuous agitation,
    then 45min with 3 gentle agitations every 15mins thereafter. Neg looks thin but I know it's a bit
    hard to assess a pyro stained negative so I'll know for sure when I try to print some frames later tonight.
    I print with split-grading on a condenser enlarger with VC paper so I might try your recipe.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    regards,
    jf
    Last edited by malinmalin; 01-22-2008 at 01:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    jf
    --
    "The fact was I had the vision...I think everyone has...what we lack is the method." J.Kerouac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HP5+/120, ISO 320, Pyrocat-HD dil. 1:1:100, 12 min. @ 21*C, continuous agitation 1st min., 5s agitation every 30s. thereafter.

I use a presoak for about 2min.

Regards,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Continuing my little experiment, I tried to print a few frames from my test roll of HP5+
    developped as I mentionned above. Even though they look a little thin on the light
    table, they printed nicely with not much effort of my part. I might use that recipe
    with one more agitation cycle while keeping the same total dev time, 45mins.

Last night I tried a small variation of recipe that Will mentionned above, a 5min water
    presoak, 1:1:100 pyrocat at 20C and 3 inversions at 17min, 12min, 7min and 2min,
    ditch the dev, water stop bath for 1min, and 5min in Ilford alkalyne rapid fixer,
    10min wash in running water.

Comparing the 2 sets of negatives on the light table it seems to me that my second
    test yielded slightly thinner negatives. They were done with exactly the same light
    conditions so maybe I was too gentle with my agitations...

anyways, thanks folks!
    jf
    jf
    --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    malinmalin, how about rasing your dev temp to 72 def f? That might give you more oomph... Especially for semi stand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    malinmalin, how about rasing your dev temp to 72 def f? That might give you more oomph... Especially for semi stand
    Andrew, that was my next step

Regards,
    jf
    jf
    --

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin