Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,717   Online: 776

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

XTOL with TMX sheet film?

It looks like I'm getting back into processing my own film, after five years or so of shooting nothing but 35mm XP2, and having it processed (very nicely) at the local grocery store. I expect I'll be processing 4x5, 120 and 35mm formats.

Since I don't think my volume of exposed film will be great, I'd like to work with a single developer, and XTOL is the one I'm considering. I was very happy with XTOL on my 35mm film a few years ago; Is there any reason I won't like it with 4x5 TMX? I like to use the Readyloads, so I'm restricted to TMX in 4x5.

I realize that the best answer to my question is "try it", which I plan to do.

When I was shooting 4x5 film a few years ago, I used TMAX RS with good success, but I'd rather not keep two developers on hand (especially since XTOL is only available in 5L packages now). I see that Kodak publishes processing times for XTOL and TMX sheet film, but I don't remember hearing user's reports of this combination. If anyone has experience with this XTOL and TMX, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

BTW, I process 4x5 film in BTZS tubes.

Regards,

Gary,

East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tmax 100 is excellent in Xtol I've used the combination for about 7 years in 35mm, 120 & 5x4.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've been using 35mm, 120 and 4x5 TMX in Xtol for several years now. Love it! For me Xtol 1+1 for 10 minutes at 20 deg. C works well with an EI of 100.
    Rodinal
    I develop my 4x5 in a full Jobo tank with intermittent agitation by inversion. (Continuous agitation for the first minute, then four inversions every minute) You'll have to do some tests to see what works for you.

I use Xtol 1+1 to 1+3 for most of my work and Rodinal 1+100 for a particular "look". Actually, you may want to look at highly dilute Rodinal for TMX - great tonality!

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a kodak tech sheet that recommends... ei 100, 7.25 min, full strength, 20º C

My time is EI 75, 9.0 min, 1:1 20ºC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    Is there any reason I won't like it with 4x5 TMX?
    I process all of my TMX sheet film in stock XTol, replenished, and have been very satisified with the results.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no reason not to. XTOL is a very good developer for TMX in all formats. If you like shorter development times, use it full strength and follow Kodak's capacity recommendations. Don't mind a few extra minutes in the dark or using a daylight tank? Use it diluted 1+1. Great stuff, that XTOL. It will get the best possible compromise of film speed, grain, and resolving power you can get from this film. There may be other stuff that performs as well, but from where I stand XTOL offers the best price/performance ratio.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Xtol is Kodaks newest, most technologically advanced b/w film developer. You can rest assured that it was extensively tested on all Kodak b/w films, both small format and Large Format. It was probably also tested on other brands of film. If Kodak felt it was not recommended for a certain Kodak film they would put the initials "NR" in the data sheets for Xtol relating to that film. They have not done this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks to all who have responded!

Any uncertainties I may have had regarding the XTOL - 4x5 TMX combination have been eliminated by your unanimous praise for this combination. Now I just have to get off my duff and shoot some film!

I imagine I'll use full strength XTOL as a starting point with 4x5, since each sheet only uses two ounces in the BTZS tubes, and I'll have to mix five liters of the stuff. I had also planned to use it as a one-shot, and not concern myself with replenishment.

Thanks again,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Guys,

Sorry to jump in.
    How is Xtol in a rotary tube processor (PhotoTherm)?
    I currently use Tmax (not RS) and the results are great but its expensive.
    Im mostly shooting 4x5 tmax, Tri x, ERA and Acros in 120.

Thanks
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    Thanks to all who have responded!

I imagine I'll use full strength XTOL as a starting point with 4x5, since each sheet only uses two ounces in the BTZS tubes, and I'll have to mix five liters of the stuff. I had also planned to use it as a one-shot, and not concern myself with replenishment.
    Welcome.

AFA replenishment goes, one of the beauties of XTol is that it is self-replenishing -- that is, you replenish just by adding more fresh XTol to that which you've already used.

My methodology is as follows:

• Mix up 5 L. Split into 5, 1 L containers.
    • One liter becomes my 'working solution', the other 4 are replenishment stock.
    • Process the first 240 sq in of film in the 'working solution' for the normal time.
    • For each following sheet/roll, remove xx ml from the 'working solution' and add xx ml of fresh to it.
    • Continue until the 4 L of replenishment stock has been used.
    • Discard 'working solution' and start with a fresh 5 L.

My rate of replenishment is 80 ml per 80 sq in of film. Kodak recommends a starting point of 75 ml per 80 sq in. YMMV.

I run through 5 L in a month or two and have had no problem with "sudden death syndrome." I do, however, suggest you mix using distilled water -- when I use tap water, I have seen some sort of 'growth' develop in the solution (both the working solution and the fresh).

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin