Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,068   Online: 948

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anything 'eats' silver, the resultant spot on the print would be darker.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    Dan, what does "5-10-20 (wash) sequence" mean?
    And what developer and fixer do you use? Just curious
    because you said, "very dilute".
    I refer to the Ilford 5-10-20 sequence. For much discussion
    of the subject make a Forum Search for 5-10-20 .

I home brew all my chemistry. My fixer is unadulterated sodium
    thiosulfate fresh prepared each session. There is no 'magic
    concentration' at which fixer works though there need
    be enough of the actual chemical to do the job. Try
    20ml of ammonium thiosulfate concentrate in the
    necessary volume of solution. Should fix most
    any roll of 120. Allow 10 minutes. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If anything 'eats' silver, the resultant spot on the print would be darker.

PE
    That exactly is the case, both in Janet's sample and in mine, lower density on the negative. I'll look at it in detail on my part and then report back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It could also be less development. We cannot be sure at this point, but 'eating' the silver is slower after it is formed.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Janet,
    Now I don't know if it's the same thing but it definitely is the same size and shape of spots I was getting on a few rolls. I even asked for advice here: weird teardrop spot
    I tried all the advice that was noted but to no avail. I also did a second to last wash in distilled water and then a final with distilled and photoflo. Finally I tried to chalk it up to condensation. Then as a last ditched effort, I carefully surveyed my wet roll as it came out of the wash, before drying, and found no spots. Then after drying, spots appeared, so it had to be in the drying. Then I checked my film every 10 minutes while it dried (yes, as exciting as watching paint dry) and found that if I had at least a medium sized water drop sticking to the non emulsion side, the emulsion side tended to dry slower in that exact spot but in a teardrop shape. I then read that if that happens, the gelatin can tend to migrate out to the edges of that spot making a permanent mark. Maybe because it is cooler in that spot for longer? I now find that if I make sure there is absolutely no water drips hanging on the non emulsion side, there are no pear shaped drops after it all dries. There it is, my non-tech explanation for my spot problem. I hope it helps ya. Can any one shed some light as to why this happens?

Images
    Thank you, all. I have rewashed and no change. Thankfully, it's not one of my favorite negatives.

Janet

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin