Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,049   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

What's this spot?

I thought it was something I could wash off the negative, but it's not. It looks like a stain, maybe? Does it look to you like something I can fix? I'm sure you see it, but it's in the bottom right corner.

Thanks.

Janet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linney's.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Really looks like a water mark, particularly if your film was dried while oriented this way. How long did you let it wash for the second time around?

Images
    That's what I thought too, till I looked at the negative. It doesn't have that chalky look of residue from water. I use Hypo and then rinse 7 or 8 minutes. It sort of looks like a stain, but I'd love to find out it's a water mark. It could be fixed then, yes?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would rewash and photoflo it---see what happens!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Janet, Yes, try a re-wash and rinse in Photo-flo. Pretty simple thing to do!

Images
    Is photo-flo different from hypo clearing agent? I have hypo, but can order photo-flo if that's the ticket. Thanks so much for the info. I'll try it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Photo flo is quite different from Hypo. It's a mild detergent like substance that you use in very diluted form. I soak my negs for about 30 sec in it, remove the excess by running the film through my fingers then hang to dry.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The spot is darker in the print, and therefore lighter in the negative.

I think this is some other problem. It also looks like it continues out of the picture area. Please look outside that frame in the OP and in the adjacent negative area. If it is there, it is a development problem. Possibly water hit the film before starting processing, or a drop of stop bath.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nice catch PE the spot has less density on the neg not more like you would expect from a waterspot.

That said I would still try a rewash---don't have anything to lose

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Three different items - each with a different purpose

Quote Originally Posted by jgcull View Post
    Is photo-flo different from hypo clearing agent? I have hypo, but can order photo-flo if that's the ticket. Thanks so much for the info. I'll try it.
    You mention three different items - each with a different purpose. Make sure you don't get them swapped around.

In order of usage:

Hypo - the chemical that transforms undeveloped silver halides in the film or paper into a soluble or washable form, thus removable. Hypo's not perfect, but it's necessary. In paper especially, the transformed silver halides can still be quite tenacious, thus a washing aid can be helpful.

Hypo Clearing Agent - (HCA) - HCA is a washing aid, and makes the results of the hypo even more washable or removable. Used mostly, but not exclusively on photographic papers. Sometimes used as adjunct to other photographic processes but don't get those confused with it's basic mission - washing fast and effectively. HCA is pretty simple, you can get it packaged off the shelf or even make it yourself with some water, Sodium Sulfite and Sodium bisulfite. (Regardless of whether you use HCA or not, after the hypo and HCA, you always wash the film or paper - follow the directions for the material you use. Time, changes of water and temperature are all important.)

Photo-flo - essentially a very pure detergent/ surfactant mix, if I recall correctly. Used after the wash to help the water on the film sheet off so that water droplets and the like do not leave drying marks on the film. PE and others warn that household detergents have deleterious additived that may not be healthy on films. Use the real stuff and you'll rest easy.

Best,

C
    Last edited by CBG; 01-23-2008 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Revision for clarity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin