Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,564   Online: 888

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Oriental Seagull: Is this the Lithable one?

I bought a big box of 12x16 Oriental Seagull in Silverprint many years ago, its been cold stored and I'm wondering if this is THE paper that lith printed so well.

It's Grade 3 and Lot number 11ON0203

I dont want to break open the seal and try some lith printing basically because I'm a relatively inexperienced lith printer and dont want to waste any of it.
    www.fpworkshops.com
    Film Photography Workshops - Ireland

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi there

the highly lithable version is Oriental G4 graded, three will work but 4 is the best.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan View Post
    I bought a big box of 12x16 Oriental Seagull in Silverprint many years ago, its been cold stored and I'm wondering if this is THE paper that lith printed so well.
    If You bought it many years ago, it is real Oriental New Seagull. Stored cold or not, it doesnīt matter. Donīt waste your time, there is no better paper to "lith" it.

wm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Moersch View Post
    If You bought it many years ago, it is real Oriental New Seagull. Stored cold or not, it doesnīt matter. Donīt waste your time, there is no better paper to "lith" it.

wm
    And...what is Oriental New Seagull now??

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    More than likely, yes, but in several sessions with this paper I have yet to achieve the results that others have. Perhaps folks with more experience with the G3 and G4 could offer some tips here. My development times run to 15-20 minutes, never really hitting rapid infectious development.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    And...what is Oriental New Seagull now??
    I donīt know. For me it looks quite British.
    In every respect it has something from this certain English distinguished manner. Smells and tastes English and it reacts very similarly in order not to say identically to different developers and toners.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Rich

the new Oriental VC has not proven to be a great lithable paper in my darkroom.
    I can still get Oriental grade 4 , which always produces the results I prefer.

Pull times within 4 min.
    I use Nova Lith A B with a 1-8 dilution. My enlargers all have 250 watt bulbs. NR by any manufacturer but I have been using them for 10 years on lith. Just go through a lot of bulbs. Normal exposures on enlarger 2 stops down anywhere from 10 - 50 second dependent upon contrast of neg. As well I include a flash with most images.

hope this helps
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    More than likely, yes, but in several sessions with this paper I have yet to achieve the results that others have. Perhaps folks with more experience with the G3 and G4 could offer some tips here. My development times run to 15-20 minutes, never really hitting rapid infectious development.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Bob. The stuff I have is the old graded, blue box, and no fogging. I use the Novolith also, maybe more dilute, but your exposure is way beyond what I have been doing. My next try maybe I will completely omit any KBr, and jack up the exposure time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin