Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,646,108   Online: 837

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tmike View Post
    -4 is Ilford WT... which still sucks for lith in my house for some reason
    MGWT does not lith like the more lithable papers do and the large/small grain effect is less pronounced, but you can lith process it and it has a look of its own - not as 'lithy' as others. I known that it is a favourite of Bob Carnie's.
    Personally, I find it easier, or perhaps that should be 'more to my liking', to lith it in hot lith developer. I find it responds 'better'.

However, the TRUE strength of this paper with the lith process (in my opinion) is with what I call 'second pass lith', i.e. redevelopment in lith after bleaching a normally processed print. The results will vary with the ist pass developer used.
    Try it - it splits like a charm ;-)
    Tim

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Mike - that was VERY helpful.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    [QUOTE=tmike;578193]Yesterday and today I worked on lith-printing an image, using MacoLith for the first time. The development went so fast that I doubled the recommended dilution. Since the developer didn't seem to exhaust after 3 or 4 prints like my usual Kodak Super RT, I continued onwards once I ran out of Fomatone and decided to try several other papers. I managed to lith 20 papers in one developer prep; that's a record for me.QUOTE]

I really like the Kentmere print

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Tim. I WILL try out your techniques. In the past I've beat my head against the wall trying too make the Ilford work as straight-up lith. It's such a nice paper for me otherwise and it's so available. Your advice is just the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post
    MGWT does not lith like the more lithable papers do and the large/small grain effect is less pronounced, but you can lith process it and it has a look of its own - not as 'lithy' as others. I known that it is a favourite of Bob Carnie's.
    Personally, I find it easier, or perhaps that should be 'more to my liking', to lith it in hot lith developer. I find it responds 'better'.

However, the TRUE strength of this paper with the lith process (in my opinion) is with what I call 'second pass lith', i.e. redevelopment in lith after bleaching a normally processed print. The results will vary with the ist pass developer used.
    Tim
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anaanda View Post
    I really like the Kentmere print
    Thanks, Scott.

The more I look at it, the more I like it. I posted it up literally 10 minutes post microwave and dry mount press so hadn't had a chance to appreciate it. It's up on the Fridge Door Gallery now, in good daylight.

It's a bit grittier than the others, I'd say a hint of yellow-gray in with the blacks. I'd not had good luck with the Kentmere in the Kodak SRT; brutal pepper fog. So, it's risen up in my appreciation scale...
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ilford Warmtone is tricky..
    the secret or trick is to pull the print way before the black pull time of other papers. As the black emerges it starts to set, pull the sucker. Once you get the hang of it you will watch the print basically explode in the fix... the effect can be very appealing for images that require an ancient look... I made some images for the band Tradgically Hip , that I think are as beautiful with this paper as any I have ever made. As well a lot of fashion photographers like the IWT look as it gives a 30's 40's look to the image.
    Lots of wasted paper with this one because you really can't see the results until the print has been flipped a couple of times .

Quote Originally Posted by tim rudman View Post

Tim

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Gutrich View Post
    Can Moersch products be purchased in the States?
    Nancy
    Nancy, I suggest to contact Wolfgang directly and ask him for a distributor in the US: wolfgang@moersch-photochemie.com. He is also a member here on apug.
    If there is nobody in the US carrying Wolfgangs products, you could ask him or Mirko to ship it directly to you.
    Last edited by ath; 01-25-2008 at 04:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really appreciate you doing this paper comparison. It holds great value. I too like your Kentmere Warmtone image, and I have used it before in a print exchange. I got pepper fogging, but I don't dislike pepper fog, I love it with certain subject matter.

A paper you should try out some time is Fotokemika Emaks. I got a 16x20 from Guillaume Zuili that is outstanding in color and grain. A deep, rich chocolate black after selenium toning.

Your examples are really nice. I like all of them actually, but the Kentmere has something extra.

- Thomas

Yesterday and today I worked on lith-printing an image, using MacoLith for the first time. The development went so fast that I doubled the recommended dilution. Since the developer didn't seem to exhaust after 3 or 4 prints like my usual Kodak Super RT, I continued onwards once I ran out of Fomatone and decided to try several other papers. I managed to lith 20 papers in one developer prep; that's a record for me.

-print 1 is a straight print on Ilford RC pearl
    -2 is Fomatone VC RC WT velvet at gr.4
    -3 is Forte PWT RC semi-matte at gr.3
    -4 is Ilford WT... which still sucks for lith in my house for some reason
    -5 is Kentmere VC WT FB at gr.3, a moderate amt of pepper fog

For this image, I like the grain/texture and the colour brought out by the lith process, but I think I like the straight print for the contrast...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I managed to lith 20 papers in one developer prep; that's a record for me.
    Thanks for the examples, I bought a box of Kentmere WT for this very purpose...great to see your results. Are you planning to post the other results? You rarely see print comparisons anywhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    Does anyone know if Kentona still lith prints now its had its cadmium removed, and how it compares with old kentona?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin