Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,655   Online: 1251

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

What are good papers for lith printing?

Besides the obvious Fotospeed paper, what current FB papers are the most lith printable? I know there are some papers that will lith print to an extent, but I'm wondering what you lith printers out there prefer. I'm going to start lith printing in the Fotospeed lith developer.

Another question: Does VC or graded paper matter in lith printing since the highlights are controlled by exposure and shadows by development?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A good source of information would be, of course, Dr. Rudman's site, as well as the articles he wrote that can be found here (these are slightly older). I do not lith print yet, but will (hopefully) be starting soon. FWIW, I've decided to start with Kentmere's Kentona & Bromide papers in the LD20 developer. If you haven't read Dr. Rudman's books yet, I would highly recommend them. I have both and have read one already - very well written with lots of information and tips.

Good luck, and please post some results here.

Edit: A combination of the two websites I mentioned will give you an idea of what papers are "lithable", and which of these are still available.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 01-24-2008 at 12:01 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Clarification

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    For lith printing I prefer Fomatone MG from Foma. In Moersch SE5 Lith it can produce yellowish and reddish highlights and greenish shadows. But I would also recommend Tim Rudmans books. Both of them as the one of them is a good instruction manual and the other a good source of inspiration.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Brian

After fotospeed my favorite papers for Lith are... Oriental Graded 4, and possibly the most underated lith paper of all is Ilford Warmtone.. If you figure out how to make this one work you will be amazed with the potential of this paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favorite is Kentmere VC Warmtone fiber in the semi-matte finish....sweet.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Hi Brian-
    I've used Fomatone MG warmtone matt, Kentmere Kentona and Fotospeed Lith. I've also used Fotokemika but it seems to be a slower speed. All are excellent and give different results with different developers. I use Fotospeed developer and Maco Superlith developer. As far as your question I don't get that technical but I haven't noticed any difference in VC or Graded maybe some others have. I personally would go VC as it gives more flexibility. Some negatives I've found just need higher contrast filters (4 and 5) to print well. Stick with one paper and one developer to start. I think fotospeed developer and Fotospeed Lith paper work really well. Most of my Lith prints are this combination. My experience with Lith printing is just do it and don't get technical. In most cases F8 and 45 seconds will work. A lot of times I don't want to sit there for 10 minutes waiting so I usually give my negs heavy over exposure. In my experience wider aperatures give less contrast but more "Lithy" prints while smaller aperatures give more contrast but this isn't a rule as Lith is unpredictable but thats the beauty!
    Good Luck
    Scott

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Freestyle also makes a point of noting which of the papers they sell are lithable. Tim Rudman's site mentioned above is authoratative on the subject.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    My favorite is Kentmere VC Warmtone fiber in the semi-matte finish....sweet.
    Mark, is there a way to see some of your prints or do you know where I can see some samples of Kentmere VC warmtone lithed?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can Moersch products be purchased in the States?
    Nancy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Here are some different papers from today's session...

Yesterday and today I worked on lith-printing an image, using MacoLith for the first time. The development went so fast that I doubled the recommended dilution. Since the developer didn't seem to exhaust after 3 or 4 prints like my usual Kodak Super RT, I continued onwards once I ran out of Fomatone and decided to try several other papers. I managed to lith 20 papers in one developer prep; that's a record for me.

-print 1 is a straight print on Ilford RC pearl
    -2 is Fomatone VC RC WT velvet at gr.4
    -3 is Forte PWT RC semi-matte at gr.3
    -4 is Ilford WT... which still sucks for lith in my house for some reason
    -5 is Kentmere VC WT FB at gr.3, a moderate amt of pepper fog

For this image, I like the grain/texture and the colour brought out by the lith process, but I think I like the straight print for the contrast...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flower-str-ilf001_2.jpg   flower-lith-foma-gr4004_2.jpg   flower-lith-forte-gr2005_2.jpg   flower-lith-ilford-gr2007_2.jpg   flower-lith-kentmere-gr3008_2.jpg  

Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin