Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,621   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lith selenium toning - rust red!

Wow, I tried selenium toning my first attempts at lith printing and the results were really unusual - a rusty orange-red! I was expecting the shadows to go more neutral / black, but instead I got this phenomenal effect (though the first stage of toning was to go a more neutral colour than the original lith, and I pulled one out at this stage just for comparison). No scanner handy yet (they're still drying anyway), but wow. Is this normal, or a consequence of the particular paper I'm using (maco lith print RC)?

It's a pretty neat effect, but not at all what I was expecting.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had this happen with Fomatone FB, I've got a scan of one of the prints with this effect in my gallery, its the Blaenavon Ironworks lith print. I'm afraid I can't say how normal this is but it produces some nice colours.

How strong was the toner? I think I was using 1:4 or !:3 for the print I mentioned above.
    Rhys

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used 1 part harman toner to 3 parts water. The toning dilution, rather than the "archival treatment" dilution.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was just reading the chapter on slenium in rudman's toning book. Selenium is really red apparently. I don''t quite understand the technique yet but have you bleached out the print? Any ways its all in tim's book.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also highly recommend Tim's book "The Master Photographers Toning Book", as it gives a wealth of information, and dispels many myths about toning.

On lith prints selenium can indeed give oranges, reds, and maroons; depending of course upon which papers and developers are being used. As Tim says, always keep notes, so when you get an effect you like, you can go back and reproduce it .

As for the "archival treatment" dilution; if you are referring to dilutions of 1+20, or more dilute, this is one of the myths he dispels. At those dilutions, the selenium is far too weak to provide protection to the highlights, or midtones of a print.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I was just reading the chapter on slenium in rudman's toning book. Selenium is really red apparently. I don''t quite understand the technique yet but have you bleached out the print? Any ways its all in tim's book.
    Regards
    Bill
    No bleaching. I've heard Selenium mildly bleaches the highlights but I haven't really seen this in any serious way (it might just be an illusion from the intensification of the denser parts of the negative). This was my first time selenium toning, and it's pretty easy, except for the noxious ammonium odour. You need good ventilation.

My suspicion is that Harmon selenium gives a different colour to KRST
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just out of curiosity, did you get any reddish tone on the borders too?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you mean the white, unexposed borders, no - the white stayed white. I didn't see any edge effects if that was what you meant, either, although the red tone seemed to creep in from the edges once it started showing up. After a few seconds the print was evenly toned though.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Harman and KRST are two different toners completely in my opinion. Harman works well for some paper, KRST for others. I like KRST better for Forte PWT, which is my main lith paper, gives a deep brown/red color that is pleasing to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin