Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,840   Online: 785

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I once ordered 10 rolls Adox 25 120 film and had excellent results with them, the only thing is that I don't use them often since I work most of the time in very low light conditions. My standard is 100ISO but still have a few rolls left which I gonna use soon. I never had any quality problems with those rolls.
    Last edited by Uncle Goose; 01-24-2008 at 08:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: a word too much

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Thanks so far.
    An alternative. Pick a developer which is known to
    knock a stop or so off the speed but known to
    produce exceptionally sharp fine grain results.
    Microdol X, IIRC, is one. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is a lot of choice, what is good for you will depend of your taste... :

Adox CMS 20
    Adox CHS 25
    Adox CHS 50
    Adox PAN 25
    Adox ORT 25
    Rollei PAN 25
    Rollei ORTHO 25
    Rollei ATP
    Rollei RSD
    Ilford PAN-F Plus 50
    Gigabit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques D. View Post
    There is a lot of choice, what is good for you will depend of your taste... :

Adox CMS 20
    Adox CHS 25
    Adox CHS 50
    Adox PAN 25
    Adox ORT 25
    Rollei PAN 25
    Rollei ORTHO 25
    Rollei ATP
    Rollei RSD
    Ilford PAN-F Plus 50
    Gigabit
    Not all of those are in 120. That is the niche I am trying to fill. I ordered a lot of those yesterday, one roll of each to try out when I have time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you would do yourself a favor to continue shooting Pan-F, or whatever you have a lot of currently. If you're already used to it, I mean. You stated that you wanted to 'get your shooting skills up'. Doesn't swapping films that often sort of sabotage your objectives? Thing is you will never find a replacement for APX25, and yes it's fantastic film, it used to be my favorite film too. But it was unique in its grain structure, contrast, and tonal rendition, and simply sang like Pavarotti in Rodinal.
    But again, I would just shoot with Pan-F until you find you're happy with what you're shooting. My question is - do you think your photographs will be that much better because you're using APX 25? And I don't mean from a resolution standpoint - I mean aestetically, how they impact you emotionally, how you and other people react to them?
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format

Agfa at Cut Throat Prices

While Kodak was selling Tech Pan at over $5 a roll
    and Pan X was going for better than $3 Agfa was
    charging $2.09. Their other films likely were well
    under the other's prices. No more Agfa. Dan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I think you would do yourself a favor to continue shooting Pan-F, or whatever you have a lot of currently. If you're already used to it, I mean. - Thomas
    For the best results, its better to stick to what you are already used to. On the other hand trying out something else, new or old, is part of the fun of photography imho.

Jacques

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    An alternative. Pick a developer which is known to
    knock a stop or so off the speed but known to
    produce exceptionally sharp fine grain results.
    Microdol X, IIRC, is one. Dan
    Developers that "knock a stop" off speed generally don't produce "exceptionally sharp" images although they are good at producing "fine grain results" in general.

The same thing that makes image detail sharp makes grain sharp. There is no way around it.

With a really slow film, making the grain really sharp isn't much of an issue because it still isn't large enough to be visible or distracting (depending on image size of course).

My best results with slow films have been with developers that aren't known for minimizing grain: Rodinal and PMK.
    Last edited by PhotoJim; 01-28-2008 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixing typo
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not really married to Pan-F yet, I have only just started on the 120 journey anyway. I have 100 rolls of APX-25, not enough for a lifetime, but certainly enough to make some great images on or for a project, show, etc.

I have like, 4 120 backs for my recently aquired Hassy kit, it's not unrealistic to keep the backs loaded with different films for different things either.

For now, I have a variety of flavors of low speed black and white 120 films coming. I'll take some time out to see how they do and then stock up on the winners.

I just love shooting black and white, I'm sure I'll come out fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APX 25 was the worst film ever made, absolute crap! I wouldn't let my dog use that stuff! Send all 100 rolls to me an I will dispose of it for you!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin