Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,708   Posts: 1,482,884   Online: 1054

Thread: xrite 361t

Shooter
    4x5 Format

xrite 361t

hi all
    can the xrite 361t be used to test for film speed , zone 1 and zone vIII . with PMK negs. i see where it is used eith the UV channel for pyro negs for alt processes but have read that it doesn't work with negs for VC silver . i know it studpid but isn't the density of zone 1 the same for any developer ( fb+f +.1) no mater the developer? thanks
    mitch
    mitch brown

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shouldn't be any problem. Any densitometer should work for this. I believe that with pyro negs you need to use blue channel on an analyzer because of the yellow stain that comprises a major part of the image density. At least I think that's right??!! There'll be some pyromaniacs along soon to confirm this - or perhaps put me in my place!

Is the xrite a reflection densitometer as well as transmission?

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The xrite 361T is a transmission densitometer. It can be used for film testing.

I use the Ortho channel on the 361T to measure density for regular silver processes and the UV channel to measure negatives for Kallitype and Palladium printing. For kicks I measure both Ortho and UV and see how they relate to each other. The thing to keep in mind is to follow through your measuring with test printing and determine what works for you. I have settled on Pyrocat for regular negatives and PMK for enlarged negatives using lithographic film.

For testing film speed I do the exposure/development time zone work, but also contact print a step tablet and compare negative density to step tablet density (using the UV channel on the 361T) as well as print evaluations to come to a conclusion about what works and what doesn't. Measuring and testing are a small part of the overall journey. After a while you will begin to "see" what negatives will work. Most of the time prints "fail" for me because the density ranges don't fall right and there are a myriad of reasons for this. Onward....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Check out the article by Bob Herbst on www.unblinkingeye.com about the 361T and pyro negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem at all using the 361T, just push a button and you can toggle back and forth from UV to visual. Parts and service are still readily available from X-Rite. I found it very informative as I switched to Pyrocat -those thin looking (to the eye) Pyrocat negs that print beautifully aren't so thin when read via the UV channel.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin