Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,136   Online: 979

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I'm just following the instructions in the photo formulary pack I got a few weeks back

Can I snigger in the corner with the pyro 'in' folk now or are there more traps for young players ? :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    righto, so I've stepped upon some sort of bone of contention here ? A common Pyro faux-pas maybe ?

enlightenment appreciated ...

~Nick
    No worries Nick, I think Pat's just reminding me (and others) that folk wisdom is fallible.

And I'm reminding Pat that there are often some facts underlying the folk wisdom.

Dunno about any factual Garlic connections with magnetism though.

I was working a ferrite core reluctance stability problem earlier today - Garlic wasn't mentioned.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    heh, reminds me of another thread that got so far as to how to measure focal lengths using the unit standard of 'women' - it started out in tortellini ...

I am a user of a cinematography website and there are plenty of rules that get spurted out there by people who have read it on the net somewhere "so therefore its true" - I get tired of trying to make sense of it all and fly off on abstract tangents, that do have a core of truth somewhere but are otherwise incomprehensible to me and maybe one other user ... I smelled a hint of that here, and well, yeh no further comment required

cheers for the info though - the original post was answered taco pronto

nick

Images
    Well, the idea that an overall pyro stain will result from the alkaline afterbath seems to have prompted thr OP to observe that it might be the thing to do if the contrast appeared to be too high. In that respect, it would be like having a permanent yellow filter that would reduce the contrast when printing on VC paper. Contrary to the opinion of some, the proportional part of the yellow stain slightly increases VC contrast. So maybe it would not be such a bad thing to use the afterbath in such cases. You would still have the proportional part for blue and UV printing, albeit with longer print times.

Sometimes the trouble with conventional wisdom is that it is too rigid to see all the possibilities, and instills such fear of violation that few are bold enough to test it. Lodestones were valued possessions. Who would risk eating garlic near one? The man who stood on his front porch and ate tomatos in public was expected to die a violent death forthwith. If he had, it would have been the result of indigestion, not poison. Anyway, we can use the subject to make fun if not good photos.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I should mention I'm using pyro negs solely for Pt/Pd (UV) printing ...

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm just following the instructions in the photo formulary pack I got a few weeks back

Can I snigger in the corner with the pyro 'in' folk now or are there more traps for young players ? :rolleyes:
    You are of course using an alkali fixer... tortellini, anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Helmsmen were not allowed to eat either onions or garlic, as it was believed that the resulting breath odor would negatively affect the navigational lodestone.

Diamonds were also believed to have a negative influence on lodestones.

Regarding the use of a PMK afterbath, see this old APUG thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-11353.html

Also see: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=23003
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    You are of course using an alkali fixer... tortellini, anyone?
    yip ok I'll have some

Its fixed for as long as an average song on my ipod takes in Ilford Rapid Fix (sans hardener)

Shooter
    35mm
    It is said by garlic eating helmsmen that acid adversly affects stain, and that a water stop and alkali fixer such as TF-4 is the thing to do.

(That's what they say in the sniggering corner near the onion pot.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yip ok I'll have some

Its fixed for as long as an average song on my ipod takes in Ilford Rapid Fix (sans hardener)
    http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/sds/sds.asp

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/ms...L_RAP_FIX_.PDF

Based on the Ilford MSDS information, it appears that Ilford HYPAM and Ilford Universal Rapid Fixer are the same fixer.

Ilford Universal Rapid Fixer contains Ammonium Thiosulfate, Sodium Sulfite, Sodium Acetate, Boric Acid and Acetic Acid. The pH of the Ilford Rapid Fixer concentrate is listed as 5.1 (thus acidic)

Recall: Acid pH is less than 6.5
    Neutral pH is 6.5 to 7.5
    Basic pH is greater than 7.5

If you wish to increase the pH (i.e. make the fixer alkaline), just mix in Borax or Sodium Metaborate until the pH reaches the desired level (i.e. approx. neutral pH when the fixer stops fizzing - then add a few more grams of alkali). Otherwise, you would need a pH meter or pH indicator paper to accomplish this.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 01-26-2008 at 02:28 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin