Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,753   Online: 861

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Couple of quick Pyro PMK questions...

Hello,

PMK:

>> Is it ok to use wetting/drying agent in an end wash ? (it wont strip the stain?)

Sometimes when I develop at night (HC110, D19, D76 etc..) I leave the negs in a tray of water until the morning when it is warmer and if there is a nice breeze I can keep an eye on them, is it ok to leave stained negs in water for this amount of time ?

...and just to make sure - its ok to switch lights on after the fix right ? i.e. > the post staining can be done in light ?

thanks!
    ~Nick
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    Hello,

PMK:

>> Is it ok to use wetting/drying agent in an end wash ? (it wont strip the stain?)

Sometimes when I develop at night (HC110, D19, D76 etc..) I leave the negs in a tray of water until the morning when it is warmer and if there is a nice breeze I can keep an eye on them, is it ok to leave stained negs in water for this amount of time ?

...and just to make sure - its ok to switch lights on after the fix right ? i.e. > the post staining can be done in light ?

thanks!
    ~Nick
    Yes to using a wetting agent in the final wash.

I recommend a No to the overnight soak.

Yes to switching on the room lights after fixing.

POST DEVELOPMENT STAINING is no longer recommended by Gordon Hutchings. It increases overall (general) stain, but does not increase image stain.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 01-25-2008 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    POST DEVELOPMENT STAINING is no longer recommended by Gordon Hutchings. It increases overall (general) stain, but does not increase image stain.
    Thanks for the prompt reply - hmmm, interesting stuff this pyro - so I guess if the neg looks potentially too contrasty after a post fix inspection (still wet) with the loss of some shadow detail you could still choose to do a post stain ... I might dunk a sheet half way into the post bath and see what eventuates

Images
    According to current theory you wouldn't like it any better, but once upon a time current theory was that garlic destroys magnetism of a lodestone, and that tomatos were deadly poison. Now we can have refrigerator magnets and tomato sauce on our pizza.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the prompt reply - hmmm, interesting stuff this pyro - so I guess if the neg looks potentially too contrasty after a post fix inspection (still wet) with the loss of some shadow detail you could still choose to do a post stain ... I might dunk a sheet half way into the post bath and see what eventuates
    Nick, what you will see is the functional equivalent of an increase in the film's fog level. No improvement in shadow detail.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    According to current theory you wouldn't like it any better
    Like what any better ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Nick, what you will see is the functional equivalent of an increase in the film's fog level. No improvement in shadow detail.
    I said if anything I'd get a degradation in shadow detail

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    According to current theory you wouldn't like it any better, but once upon a time current theory was that garlic destroys magnetism of a lodestone, and that tomatos were deadly poison. Now we can have refrigerator magnets and tomato sauce on our pizza.
    Not a good idea to eat any other parts (than the fruit) of a tomato plant. The stems and the leaves contain an alkaloid called Tomatine that interferes with
    cholinergic nerves and can cause some serious gastrointestinal distress.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    righto, so I've stepped upon some sort of bone of contention here ? A common Pyro faux-pas maybe ?

enlightenment appreciated ...

~Nick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    righto, so I've stepped upon some sort of bone of contention here ? A common Pyro faux-pas maybe ?

enlightenment appreciated ...

~Nick
    The modern thinking is that any post-fixing dipping of film back into the developer, while it might give you some overall (not image) stain increase, it does nothing good for the image. Gordon Hutchings has recanted his earlier instructions. Nobody did this before Hutchings...he worked out the method which he "thought" would be better, wrote the book, and then after extensive evaluation decided he was wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin