Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,355   Online: 835

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What Developer? ~ Help needed

Hi everyone.

I have just returned from a trip to the Cornish coast in th U.K. and have been testing different films while on my travels. By doing this I have made two balls ups .

Number 1,

I have rated a roll of 120 Ilford PanF at 100 iso instead of the 50 it should have been. What developer should I use to push this film? and what developoment times etc? I have the following developers at hand. Pyrocat M (though I can make HD) Rodinal, Ilford ID11 and Thorntons two bath.

Number 2,

I have used a couple of rolls of ADOX CHS-25 art in 120 format. On my return home I have read that it is not a good idea to use an orange filter with this film, due to its allready high contrast character. Well, I have used one ! What developer should I go with to give me a good range of tones? I don't mind high contrast but I do wish to see some shadow detail. I have read that Rodinal @ 1-100 for 18 mins is good for this film. Should I use this and cut back a bit on the development time?

Your help with this will as allways, be much appreciated.

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would do the adox 25 in Rodinal 1:100 in any case if it was me. Hopefully you didn't want a whole lot of shadow detail from the Pan F. It should push to a hundred pretty well. I would personally do the ID11.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For the Pan F+ give XTOL a try--check the Massive Development Chart for times, also might give you ideas on other developers to try. The Adox I would develope it normally and see what you get--think of it as a film test.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm View Post
    think of it as a film test.
    Thanks for your help so far Guys.

On the first roll I know that there is one very special frame that I would very much like it to make it through this mess up, so I would rather not see this as a film test. Man the joys of straying away from what you know best!

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds like a perfect job for Eastman D23. It is outstanding in giving you shadow detail but will not (well, hardly) block up your highlights and rarely gives excessive contrast.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Images
    Well, then, get a sacrificial roll to use for the test.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Well, then, get a sacrificial roll to use for the test.
    Great advice!

I just so want to get in the Darkroom but your right, on this occasion I feel its not worth the risk.

Thank You

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the Pan-F, I'd go ID-11. This was the standard pushing dev years ago. You should be able to find a time on the MDC.

For the Adox, Gainer is correct, there's nothing like a test roll under similar (???) conditions with the orange filter. You might want to try Thornton's two bath for that. It should help keep your contrast in control.

Shooter
    35mm
    Seeing these posts made me check the MDC. Roger Hicks says that DDX is a speed increasing developer and yet neither Ilford nor MDC give speeds above 50 for this combo. The only Ilford developer which Ilford gives a higher speed for is Microphen but then only 64 or 80, I think. As another poster has said it seems that Xtol is the most versatile developer for Pan F. There's an amazing range of speeds quoted - way beyond the 100 that the OP used it at.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently discovered a roll of undeveloped pan F 120 in my cupboard which had been exposed at 100 ISO from about 4years ago !! Couldn't decide what dev to use either.
    When I get round to it I'll probably go for ID11 or Microphen.
    Great film Pan F, quite contrasty and I normally rate at 12 or 25 and do it in dilute Perceptol.
    Interested to see how you get on.

Where did you go in Cornwall by the way ? Lousy weather down here lately.

Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin