Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,411   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recycling fix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Using Hypo Chek is a good method, but you should draw off a sample to use for the test and discard afterward, as it will weaken the fix otherwise. (search should show up PE's comments on this).
    With film I check the film at 1/2 the minimum time stated on the fixer's data sheet. If the film is clear (usually) then I simply fix for the minimum stated time. Otherwise I double the clearing time, up to the max stated on the data sheet. That is, the clearing time should never exceed the 1/2 max time stated in the data sheet.

It's wasteful and polluting to dump the fixer after one use, either for film or paper, after all, you are dumping heavy metals (silver) into the waste stream. Or in my case with a septic system, into ground water that I might eventually drink. Thanks but no thanks.
    Yup! That's why I recycle fix and don't dump it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Using Hypo Chek is a good method, but you should draw off a sample to use for the test and discard afterward, as it will weaken the fix otherwise. (search should show up PE's comments on this).
    Again, it's the iodide that is used in hypo check.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my lab (at work) we still wet process a lot of Xray film and Kodak Tech Pan (we have freezer full of Tech Pan). We send all of our used fixer to a silver recovery sevice.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even though I use the same fixer and dilution for film and paper I've never mixed them - not for any particular reason, I just haven't. reading Tom's post, I'm glad I didn't now. (I'd rather be lucky than good!)

My largest film tank takes 1.5 litres of solution so I keep a one litre and a half litre on hand. In use, I pour in fixer from the litre bottle and at the end return it to top off the half litre, pouring the balance into the"ex-litre" bottle. This way the entire one and a half litres gets the same usage. A while back, I ran tests with a single litre - clearing times and hypo check and found that the clearing time doubled after 21 films. On this basis I fix 20 films in my litre and a half before replacing the batch.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It's wasteful and polluting to dump the fixer after one use, either for film or paper, after all, you are dumping heavy metals (silver) into the waste stream. Or in my case with a septic system, into ground water that I might eventually drink. Thanks but no thanks.
    bdial,

Assuming that comment was for me, the dump after one use is in the Rollo Pyro manufacturer's (Bostick & Sullivan) instructions. The same instructions say use only 350ml of fixer for five sheets of 8x10. At this point the fixer is also heavily loaded with pyro stain that would do nothing positive for fixing prints of snow scenes. "Dump" in my case, means dump the 350ml plus the first two 450ml rinses of the Jobo Expert tank into a gallon jug. When I accumulate three or four gallons, I take them to the University where I still take courses at age 67. The University encourages students with home darkrooms to use the school's silver recovery system to "help save the environment". I also have a well upstream from our septic system.

John Powers
    Last edited by jp80874; 01-28-2008 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin