Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,613   Online: 847

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Well, that wasn't the dumbest thing I ever did, but pretty close. I didn't even look to see that it was sheet film. I did the ASS-U-ME thing. It may still be true, but not for the reason I gave. No leaders on sheet film.
    Gadget Gainer

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all.
    It's so curious that never before this has happen. I looked up some older HP5+ sheets and they all are colourless like the FP4+ in the sample. I will make today fresh baths of developer, stop and fixer and try another sheet.
    I let you know.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harry, I developed 5 sheets of HP5+ yesterday, in D76 1+1 and it was the first time in about 8 months that I had done HP5+ as opposed to FP4+.

The first thing I noticed was the density and the slight brown looking stain, I said to myself, yep that's HP5.

I checked your film notches to confirm and ensure you had identified the film correctly and noticed that you have interesting holder marks, what kind of holders are those?

Mick.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hka View Post
    Thank you all.
    It's so curious that never before this has happen. I looked up some older HP5+ sheets and they all are colourless like the FP4+ in the sample. I will make today fresh baths of developer, stop and fixer and try another sheet.
    I let you know.
    Hi Harry,

Curious indeed, the stain (judging by the scan at least) looks like a pyro/catechol stain. I have also seen such a stain with an exhausted developer, but that does not make sense since the FP4 neg came out fine.

HP5 always has a higher B+F than FP4.

Best,

Cor

PS you did make a good print of it, judging on the dutch forum?

Images
    Just out of curiosity I loaded the attachments into Paint Shop Pro as is. There seems to be a little color in each, which neutralizes when I convert to gray scale, so I figure it's not in the monitor. Undoing the gray scale and converting to positive show a warm brown image from the FP4+ and a more magenta image from th HP5+, after I adjust brightness and contrast. I don't know exactly what all this shows, but it seems that there is some amount of image stain in each one, not just overall stain.

An MQ degeloper like ID-11 or D-76 could make a stained image somewhat more towards red than catechol if there was very little sulfite in it, but I mean VERY little. Pyrocat M would be an example if hydroquinone were substituted for the catechol. It may have less than 1 gram of Q per liter of working solution and produce quite a strong stain image. The pH is considerably higher than ID-11, though. The fixer, I think, has enough sulfite to prevent carried over Q from developing a stain. Maybe something between developer and fixer changed the carried over sulfite to sulfate before it killed the MQ.
    Gadget Gainer

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I developed a new sheet of HP5 in the same badge of developer and made fresh stop and fixer.
    The results are now the same as for FP4 without any "stain".
    After examination the old stop and fix I discovered some yellowish colouring in this two.
    I think that I have used them some time ago in combination with a Pyrocatechin developer. Something I forgot.
    That must be the reason why the colour of the HP5 has changed.
    Problem solved. Thanks to anybody.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin