Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Water, WTF!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I once met a photographer that reticulated all negatives. The prints were extraordinary. A completely unknown photographer, true to the promise she made herself that her photography was for her and her only. Very unique approach. Very beautiful prints. And no desire to show it to others what-so-ever.
    She told me that she happened onto reticulation by accident, in an occurrence much like the one you just experienced. What prevented your film from reticulating I will never know.
    Gainer, I thought they were called gremlins. I have gremlins in my darkroom. Maybe because I'm Swedish.
    - Thomas
    The name a senior moment kept me from recalling at the time was "Leprechaun." All I could think of was "imp", maybe because my wife and I raised 6 of them.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm a new 4x5er and heeded some good advice by exposing two negs for important shots. In my first home 4x5 development this week, I forgot to shut down the heat vent in the bathroom where I dry my negs and picked up some dust. If my dusty negatives look good, I will develop the second set and dry them properly in a dust free environment. I usually turn on shower and mist up the room a bit before I hand the negs, but failed to do that the other night because the hour was late.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Macwax View Post
    I'm a new 4x5er and heeded some good advice by exposing two negs for important shots. In my first home 4x5 development this week, I forgot to shut down the heat vent in the bathroom where I dry my negs and picked up some dust. If my dusty negatives look good, I will develop the second set and dry them properly in a dust free environment. I usually turn on shower and mist up the room a bit before I hand the negs, but failed to do that the other night because the hour was late.
    Depending on how the dust settled in to the emulsion, you may be able to rewash the negs and eliminate some or all of it. It wont hurt to try. Put them in the tank or tray with some tempered water, let them soak for a while, with a little agitation, dump and fill a few times, wetting agent and dry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    One of the worst things to do is to shock the film with hot then cold water. That enhances reticulation. You were lucky, but I really don't know how to prevent a shock in your type of situation. Wow. Hope your luck continues.

PE
    I'll take that luck any day . I have never tried to reticulate a film but I knew that it involved hot water and so my first instinct was to cool it off. Apparently the wrong instinct and I'll remember that if I am stupid enough to let that happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can reticulate film with no hot water and no temperature shock, using only 68 deg F water. But that is a story for another day.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PE - you are such a tease!! Didn't your mother tell you good boys aren't teases??
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob;

It is a long story and will have to wait until I finish my R&D.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hear you P.E. - Sorry, just couldn't resist!!

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Happened to me once while on a evening course at a local college. It wasn't 4x5 but Ilford 35mm - HP5+ I think. The normally lit film processing area was full so I went out into the safelighted darkroom area with my tank. Didn't wait until my eyes had become accustomed and turned on the hot tap instead of the cold which always ran at about 55-60F. Something made me put my hand under the tap and it was hot! At least 120 I'd have said. No damage at all. Afterwards I was a little less concerned about washing temps. Can't speak for 4x5 but certainly Ilford 35mm film seems pretty tough.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin