Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,002   Online: 919

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Harman Selenium Toner...

I thought I'd try the Harman Selenium Toner, instead of the Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner I've always used. The instructions seem straightforward enough except for the part which reads:

"...place the prints in a holding tray of water, approximately 4 C/39 F warmer than the temperature of your working strength solution of Harman Selenium Toner."

I'm not particularly anxious to submit my FB prints to a 110 F bath unless there's a very good reason for this.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Thanks,

Gary.
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not sure why they say that, but I don't follow it. My prints go from the wash to the toner, which I use primarily for color change. The wash water temperature is around 60 F. This seems to work just fine for me. YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    39F warmer? That would be a typo. Normal processing temperature is 20C / 68F, so 4C warmer is 24C is 75,2F.

It's quite normal to put prints in a slightly warmer bath before selenium toning, as it prevents some of the selenium to be cleared in the wash water.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Resoman View Post
    I thought I'd try the Harman Selenium Toner, instead of the Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner I've always used. The instructions seem straightforward enough except for the part which reads:

"...place the prints in a holding tray of water, approximately 4 C/39 F warmer than the temperature of your working strength solution of Harman Selenium Toner."

I'm not particularly anxious to submit my FB prints to a 110 F bath unless there's a very good reason for this.

Can anyone shed light on this issue?

Thanks,

Gary.
    East Snook, TX
    It's a typo. It should (probably) say "approximately 4C/7F warmer" - a 4 degrees C change is approx equal to a 7 degree F change so if you are used to using Fahrenheit, the water batch should be 7 degrees warmer. No idea why you would bother with such a small temperature increase though unless you were using the toner above room temp.

Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, everyone -

I went ahead and toned with all baths at room temperature and it went fine. The Forte Polywarmtone really reacted to the toner - the 1:3 dilution was much too much but I think I'll like the prints I got at 1:20. They're on the drying screens now; I'll get a look at them tomorrow...

Thanks,

Gary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    It's a typo. It should (probably) say "approximately 4C/7F warmer" - a 4 degrees C change is approx equal to a 7 degree F change so if you are used to using Fahrenheit, the water batch should be 7 degrees warmer. No idea why you would bother with such a small temperature increase though unless you were using the toner above room temp.

Bob.
    Perhaps the reason for the batch water to be slightly warmer than the toning solution is to prevent carry over of cooler water and help hold the toner at a consistent temperature. I've done this for years when selenium and gold toning.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Looks like a typo I will have it checked

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    looks like a "brain fart" to me...

A temperature of 4C is 39F, but a difference of 4C is only 7F since 0C is 32F...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean View Post
    Perhaps the reason for the batch water to be slightly warmer than the toning solution is to prevent carry over of cooler water and help hold the toner at a consistent temperature. I've done this for years when selenium and gold toning.
    Hi Les,

I recall reading that somewhere in Ilford's literature. What is the reason for holding a consistent temperature? Is the toner's activity temperature dependent?

Thanks,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    Hi Les,

I recall reading that somewhere in Ilford's literature. What is the reason for holding a consistent temperature? Is the toner's activity temperature dependent?

Thanks,
    Sanjay
    Good question Sanjay, my thinking when I first did this was that we are told to be consistent with temperature when developing films and prints so I just continued in that vein. I also selenium tone sometimes at quite high temperatures partly to speed up the process and partly to experiment to see if higher temperatures bring anything different to selenium toning, colour change that may not be obtainable at lower temperatures. I would point out to anyone doing thisthat it is wise to use a mask and work in very well ventilated places.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin