Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 809

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X coating blotch

I developed a roll of Tri-X (135) yesterday, containing a few images where I try out an idea for an avatar to use here at APUG (hence the depressing man drinking milk). Anyway, the film has some strange, what I believe to be, coating imperfections that can be seen in the attached straight scan. The larger “blob” and the smaller specks have a pale yellow colour and are clearly on the emulsion side.

Does anyone know what this is? I’m interested because I have never encountered anything like this before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TX.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Try refixing it? Just sounds like the film didn't fix (but there's no picture of the film itself so that white blob could be anything).
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That looks to me like the emulsion touched the next layer on the reel. Looks like no chemical activity at that point. Could the film have buckled at this point.

Only reason I say this is "been there, done that!"
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Always a possibility...

Here are two more scans of the problem:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TX II.jpg   TX III.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agree with BobNewYork, film on film contact. Refixing will simply leave clear film at that spot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Uhner:

Definitely looks like a problem loading the film on the developing reel. Do you recall if the film went on the reel easily or did you have a problem? I really think that's your answer.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    Uhner:

Definitely looks like a problem loading the film on the developing reel. Do you recall if the film went on the reel easily or did you have a problem? I really think that's your answer.

Bob
    It went on quite smooth and uneventful as usual. There are no pinch marks on the film and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary when I took the reel from the tank or opened the reel.

Anyway – I believe that you are right. Shame on me for calling this a coating imperfection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No shame! When it happened to me I saw the first blotch as the film came off the reel and cursed the manufacturer......until I saw the other blotches!!! It happens - just so long as it wasn't someone's wedding!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is one layer of film touching another on your reel during devving. Photo students (and those that go on to become professionals) call it leprosy. It happens to all of us at one point or another. The first two roll of film I ever did were covered with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Uhner:

I meant to say earlier that that glass looks like it was made for beer. You should be aware that bad things happen to people who drink milk out of a pint glass!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin