Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,399   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Should I test a roll from a batch of expired FP4

I've bought a batch of 10 rolls of FP4 that expired in August 2006 from a seller who said that even though they had expired, they had been stored in a coolroom. While I have no reason to doubt the seller, and I'm not concerned that the film is out of date, would it be worth shooting a roll just to test that they are still OK (especially before I take the film away on holiday with me in April)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the seller was honest about how they were stored I have no doubt the film is fine. I just finished shooting a project this summer using Delta 100 expired in January of 2006. That being said, I would certainly test a roll before using it on holiday. All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They will be fine.

3 years is nothing

ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting TMax100 that expired in 1998 (still have 5 rolls left) without a problem. I think 3 years won't cause any problems.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Should be no problem, but if you were to shoot something really important and the film was bad and you didn't test...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some FP4 in sheets which expired in 2002 and it's fine. That said, surely your cameras will get some use before April? Or are you saving up your creative energy for the holiday? :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few months ago I found a unopened bulk roll of FP4 in a box in my garage.
    There was no expiration date that I could find, but it must of been in there since I moved here almost 20 years ago.
    I must of stuffed in a box during the move and forgot all about it.

Being in Florida it gets pretty hot in my garage.

I loaded a roll in a camera and to my suprise the negatives turned out fine, maybe not perfect but very usable.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    I have some FP4 in sheets which expired in 2002 and it's fine. That said, surely your cameras will get some use before April? Or are you saving up your creative energy for the holiday? :P

Fair comment . I have some rolls of BW400CN that I'll use up first. But if I really get my act together, I might even be in a situation where I have to buy some more FP4 before I go away.

Thanks for all the replies

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film will be fine. However, test a roll because if you don't you'll be worrying about the film all through your holiday - and that's no holiday!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just developed a couple of expired FP4 rolls myself, I got them from a strange person. The base density was a bit high, but no other problem is visible. Must have been badly stored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin