Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,324   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Anyone brewing up their own lith developers?

I'm looking to start lith printing, and have a bunch of chems and was wondering if anyone has some recipies that I can follow to mix up my own two part lith developer. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a lot of Lith dev formulae on Unblinkingeye

Ian

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    There are a lot of Lith dev formulae on Unblinkingeye

Ian
    I almost always mix my own lith developer, it's the D-85 formula (see above link).

I use it at 100 A + 400 B + 1000 water with good results

Good luck!

Cor

Ps exchanging acetone for paraformaldehyde does not seem to work. And be very careful with the paraformaldehyde , it's toxic! (solute it at 50degC not much higher)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I'm looking to start lith printing, and have a bunch of chems
    and was wondering if anyone has some recipies that I can
    follow to mix up my own two part lith developer. Thanks!
    At Google search for, wall's normal hydroquinone. Lots
    of formulas. I chanced upon a mix very similar to Wall's.
    No more than hydroquinone, sodium sulfite, and sodium
    carbonate. Ratios in that order 1:5:5. Multiply by 2,
    make that in grams, and dissolve it all in 1 liter
    of H2O. I've not tried that exact formula as
    my by chance brew deviated some. Good
    results in as few as 8 minutes. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Yep, but with limited success

So far, apart from high contrast D19 I have had limited success with my mix own from formulas lith efforts. I was substituting eqi-molar formalin solution for dry weight paraformaldehyde and there is a chemical (can't recall what) along for the ride in the formalin that keeps it from sedimenting into paraformaldehyde that I think was the cause for the set backs.

My para order arrived in the mail last week, but I have not got back to the lith developer experiment yet. Silly things like making a living and being a good husband and parent have so far been the intrusions.

I do have about 150 sheets of 8x10 and 100 sheets of 11x14 lith film (ortho, about asa 3) in the freezer calling for my attention though. I have a mate in a camera club I frequent that I recently did some electrical work for. So now when I get over to his place there is a fully functional 17x 21" or so process camera in the basement adjacent to his darkroom to play with the lith on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike if you use Formalin/Formaldehyde instead of the paraformaldehyde and mix the D85 as a one part developer it works brilliantly as long as you use this as Part A and mix 1+1 for use with a Part B of 5% NaOH or KOH solution. I know this works because I used it for many years as a graphic arts dev commercially.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any words on shelf life or tray life of home brews versus the proprietaries? Or do you mix this stuff only prior to use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rich, all the Lith devs I've made up have had similar tray life to commercial lith devs.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

good advise

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Mike if you use Formalin/Formaldehyde instead of the paraformaldehyde and mix the D85 as a one part developer it works brilliantly as long as you use this as Part A and mix 1+1 for use with a Part B of 5% NaOH or KOH solution. I know this works because I used it for many years as a graphic arts dev commercially.

Ian

Thanks - no problem on your approach to the part B- I keep a good sized bottle of 40% W/V NaOH around for my soap making efforts, so it is just a careful dilution, rather than waiting for the dry pellets/flakes to water route stuff to cool off.

I was trying to do the A and B of high contrast D85's with the resulant sulfite formed by the formalin mixing not happening until A and B came together. The result was that there was no preservative in with the developer components. This relilzation came to me the day after I got zero results out of a day old from mixed develpoer I had compounded this way. That and the fact that A had turned green.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi

I use Ansco 70 formula dilution from 1+1+6 to 1+1+20 with good result
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin