Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,744   Online: 868

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Selenium Toning Foma Classic Warmtone?

I want to deepen my blacks with the Foma Classic Warmtone Matte paper. Is Selenium toning the best option? Since the paper is cream based (yellowish) will it be less purple? Anyone had success with this combination? advice for dilution? I print large: 40x60... is is difficult to tone prints this big?

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you talk of fomatone Mg . It tone quite easily in selenium but you need to use high dilution. I use Rollei selenium toner and use a 1+20 dilution at least for this paper and get a rapid change of color in 1 minute . After 4 minutes I am already in the purple tone . I appreciate the tone I get after 1 minute as it take out the green cast of the paper andthe print look more brown warm tone.

For large print I prefer to use Higher dilution 1+40 giving time to immerse and take the print out. There is no difficulty toning such large print. you may remind that for better toning the selenium solution should be few degrees higher than the post and after bath.

best
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have found that this paper has the tendency to want to go red on you. It has done so with both selenium ( 1:10 for archival ) and KRST. I would follow the recomendation for weaker dilutions. I prefer the untoned print to what I have got so far. I wonder if sistern might be a good choice? Split tone and pull lows back cooler with gold?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might consider getting some amidol to mix up for your paper. While more costly and a bit more time consuming than an off the shelf developer, it is good stuff to have available for that "special print" you want to display. It will give you the deepest blacks available with any paper you use. The down side will be that toning will be longer than usual. Spend a little time looking it up and see what you think. No green tint like with dektol. tim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin