Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,233   Posts: 1,532,914   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Capacity of ID11/D76

I wonder if anyone knows the capacity of 1 litre stock ID11 and/or D76? Ilford's fact-sheet suggests it it ten rolls of 36exp 35mm film:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1159472874.pdf

while the Kodak fact-sheet suggests it is four rolls:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j78/j78.jhtml

Any advice from someone with practical experience would be appreciated (and anyone who suggests I should "test, test, test" or "dilute 1:1" will be X&!*).
    Last edited by lawrenceimpey; 01-31-2008 at 05:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grain and sharpness differs with amount of ID11 (dilution) used. 100ml may be the minimum, kodak maybe refers to the optimum.

I personally use 150ml in a 470ml tank for one film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Without replenishment, you can expect to get 10 to 12 rolls developed with reused stock solution. However, in addition to extending developing time, you can expect quality degradation, although not so much that it becomes a major issue. Nonetheless, there is always a quality compromise.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 01-31-2008 at 08:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great way to use ID-11/D-76 is to dilute it 1+1 with water. By doing this the dev has the advatage of always being fresh because you discard the dev after using it. Plus, you can mix in wahterever temp water you need to bring the stock solution up to 21C.

In addition, you get better tonality and sharpness to the negatives.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar Wolf View Post
    Grain and sharpness differs with amount of ID11 (dilution) used. 100ml may be the minimum, kodak maybe refers to the optimum.

I personally use 150ml in a 470ml tank for one film.
    Thanks for your reply but you misunderstand my question.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Without replenishment, you can expect to get 10 to 12 rolls developed with reused stock solution. However, in addition to extending developing time, you can expect quality degradation, although not so much so that it becomes a major issue. Nonetheless, there is always a quality compromise.
    Yes, that's what I thought. I guess the release of by-products would start to inhibit development after a bit, as would some oxidation, hence Ilford's suggestion to increase by 10% per film. What I can't understand is Kodak's suggestion that capacity is only four rolls per litre!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    A great way to use ID-11/D-76 is to dilute it 1+1 with water. By doing this the dev has the advatage of always being fresh because you discard the dev after using it. Plus, you can mix in wahterever temp water you need to bring the stock solution up to 21C.

In addition, you get better tonality and sharpness to the negatives.
    Please re-read my question and prepare to be X&!*ed :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Generally speaking chemistry suppliers work on the basis of 1 square metre of material per 1 litre of developer.

This is from various sources I have read regarding running different brands and types of processing machines, both film and paper.

My own personal Durst paper processor also recommends 1 square metre of paper per litre of working solution.

That roughly equates to about 20 rolls of 135 36 exposure. Here is how I calculated, or came up with that figure.

A 36 exposure uses an 8x10" sheet, which is roughly 25 x 20cm or 500 square centimetres. One square metre is 10,000 square centimetres. Divide 10,000 by 500 = 20 rolls.

I checked out the links, I couldn't find it on the Ilford site.

The Kodak one seems to state 16 then has 4 in brackets afterwards, which by the way adds up to 20.

I myself use 8 rolls per litre with colour negative film as a maximum. This has been derived from empirical methods over a number of years and having the access of a big lab to do control strip measurements for me.

I only use D76 1+1 so I don't ever come up to this possible problem, of capacity.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    As another has said it will obviously depend on dilution and tank capacity and finally on whether you use rotary processing. I have used a Jobo tank for one shot inversion processing at 1:1. The tank capacity for one reel is 240ml( called it 250). At 1:1 this is 125mls of stock solution so that is 8 rolls.

I have never used rotary processing but Ilford says it's suitable. Neither have I used 1:3 but others have and its quoted in the Massive Development Chart. Certainly a professional processor called John Tinsley wrote a book on rotary processing quoting times for ID11 at dilutions of 1:1.

So at 1:1 in a Jobo and using rotary processing the ID11 stock is only 70mls becuse the quantity needed is only 140. That's 14 rolls and all of this is one shot development. So from a number of good sources it looks as if 14 rolls is possible with rotary processing or 8 if using inversion and without going to 1:3.

It's a versatile and reasonably economical developer and is very economical if you buy the 5 litre packs.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My experience with highly dilute developers is that different films require different quantities of stock to do the job - I can only assume that different grain structures, emulsion technologies etc use up developing agents in differing amounts.

Also, using chemistry to absolute maximum capacity is inconsistent with repeatable quality so without an accurate replenishment programme there'd be very few who did that.

So "X&!*" me if you want but I think you gotta test.

Bob
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin